RC --- Chapter FORTY

I don’t need a perfect relationship; I just need someone who won’t give up on me. - Anonymous

January 10, Friday

9:30 AM

Azotea Towers

“Sir Miguel, you have to come today. You have a very important meeting with the team.” Pakiusap ni Gina sa kabilang linya. Napaupo ng sapilitan ang kagigising na si Miguel sa kanyang kama at napahawak sa noo. He was having a terrible headache.

Hang over plus lack of sleep was never a good combination. He had experienced that first hand and promised to stay out of it again yet there he was first time wishing for the mental black out to be a bit longer. He wanted numbness. He wanted nothing of the pain that was tearing his heart apart.

“Sir Miguel…” It was again Gina’s pleading voice.

Miguel grimaced as another surge of the agonizing thud came without warning. “I’ll be there in half an hour.” He closed his phone and threw it aside then forced his body to move. He needed to get a grip of himself and take control of his life once more.

He would never be a loser, he never was one. She was just a woman. Ano tingin niya sa sarili niya? Kayang-kaya ko siyang palitan. Miguel was aware of the women who flocked around him with hidden intentions. He only had to say the word and one of them would willingly come to the fore.

She was nobody. It was the exact phrase his mind kept on repeating since yesterday. Since he left her and drowned himself with liquor until the early wee hours of dawn.

But he knew damn well it was a lie. His heart was pounding a different story. Adrianna… his Alex was nowhere close to a nobody.

10:30 na ng makarating si Miguel sa kanyang opisina kung saan siya tumungo kaagad-agad. He was in no mood to mingle with his staff and they seemed to have understood it right away.

His body crashed into the nearest available couch just as Gina opened the door he slammed closed moments ago. “Sir Miguel…” She winced at the sight of her boss who did not even care to acknowledge her presence. “I’m sorry but the guys are waiting for you in the board room.”

Gina waited for a reply but got nothing as Miguel remained unmoving. “Sir…”

“Five minutes Gina. Tell them I’ll be there in five minutes.” Miguel sternly replied, his forearm covering his face.

“Okay.” And she quickly left the room.

After exactly five minutes, the entrance of a gravely looking Miguel hushed the entire room composed of Bobby, Ren, Gina and four other young men.

Miguel took his spot at the center of the table before signaling Gina to start the discussion.

Lance, the leader, started the presentation enumerating the different strategies their group had thought of. A thorough dialogue came up next, most questions coming from Bobby and Ren. The members of the group confidently and convincingly answered all.

Miguel did not speak a single word. He just watched and listened.

“Very good job guys!” Ren commented with a pleased beam. “With this idea, I’d say we will yet again be able to get that deal.  Well I’m pretty sure AZO wouldn’t go down without a fight but this is really good. It’s unique, fresh and feasible.” He was clapping his hands so were Bobby and Gina, then his gaze shifted to a silent Miguel. “What can you say Sir Miguel?”