RC --- Chapter TWENTY-NINE

Some people accidentally walk on your feet and apologize, while others walk all over your heart and don’t even realize. --- Anonymous

December 17, Tuesday

11:30 PM

Somewhere

He carefully lifted her hand off his chest and slid out of the bed, cautious not to stir her deep slumber. He donned his pants and paced out of the room taking his phone with him.

He tapped the phone’s screen, eager to see any notification coming from her either a message or a missed call would suffice. But just like yesterday, there was none. And the surge of apprehension and frustration crept in once more.

He dialed her number hoping she would pick up but as before, it was out of reach. Literally, that was what he kept hearing for probably the hundredth time he’d been calling.

Miguel sighed defeated roughly running his fingers through his hair. He went back to the room and surveyed the lady he shared the bed with sleeping peacefully and wondered if he acted right. Was this specific woman more valuable than the other?

The pained expression from Alex’ beautiful face that night was still very vivid and it was haunting him.

Instinctively, his hands found his temple as another gush of headache and confusion walloped without warning. He started moving again, finding himself slipping back into the covers beside Monique. He kept his eyes shut but his consciousness was very much awake. Was his conscience eating him up or was this woman simply not the one he wanted? The one he needed?

He shoved the questions away forcefully. Just for the night, he sought nothing but peace of mind.

*****

December 18, Wednesday

9:00 AM

MAT Enterprise Company

There was nothing peaceful the next day he reported at his office after a two-day absence. From the curious stares he received to the pile of work he had to accomplish, his zombie body lacking sleep was beginning to cede.

There was also the strong urge to visit her in the HR department but pride caught up first besides she seemed hurt and upset the last time they talked. Although he was keen on seeing her, it was probably best to give her and himself space to think things over.

He stood up and went straight to his mini kitchen and prepared a cup of coffee. He needed something to keep his blood pumping. Shortly after sitting back, his phone rang. The rise of pleased smile was clear when he saw Monique calling.

“Babe! Lunch later?” She asked. He knew she probably just woke up.

“Of course.”

“So I’ll pick you up at mid noon?”

“Err… I’d rather pick you up there. Wait for me.”

“Okay. See you then. Bye Handsome!” And she giggled.

“Bye.” He ended the call with the fixed smile plastered over his face. She always had that effect on him. She was a temptress and he was one willing mammal enticed and craving.

Briefly, he had forgotten his current burden replaced by the anticipation of the lunch date. They may have been almost together the last two days but his hankering for her has yet to be satiated.

He was at that state when Andrew entered his office. “Oh! What a boyish smile full of lust and desire.” Andrew couldn’t help but tease.