RC --- Chapter THIRTY-SIX

To be mature you have to be an adult but to be in love you have to be nothing but a human being with a heart. --- Anonymous

January 7, Tuesday

5:20 PM

The Peninsula Towers

Alex stepped out of the bathroom looking fresh and peaceful but it was only the exterior as her insides were still in chaos. She threw on a cotton white shirt and black shorts then got out of the room fast.

She was not to stay there because it’d only mean more crying. Her puffy red eyes were begging for a crying ceasefire, it was one thing she was willing to gratify.

She went down the stairs off to the kitchen suddenly having the urge to eat. She took notice of the bag she uncaringly threw awhile back. She took it and fished her phone out. Five missed calls and a text message. All from Carlo.

From: Carlo

‘I know I owe you an explanation.

I’d like to do so if you’d allow me.

Can I come over?’

Can he? Was I ready to face him? She shook her head. She knew she wasn’t. She was worn out. All she wanted tonight was to be alone. She quickly typed her reply.

To: Carlo

‘I’m tired Carlo. I’ll see you tomorrow.’

She read the message once more. Without hesitation, she pressed the send button. Placing the phone on the side table, she resumed her walk towards the kitchen.

She only managed five steps when her home phone rang. She retreated back bewildered. Who could possibly be calling her? She glanced at the caller ID first making sure it wasn’t from her office, or Xas’ or Carlo’s. It wasn’t.

Cautiously, she picked the phone and answered, “Hello?”

“Hello, Adrianna?” Came the sharp voice of a woman.

“Yes this is her.”

“Ahm this is Courtney, yung kapitbahay mo, remember?” She remembered her. They had a brief encounter yesterday. “I got your number from the reception, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course I remember you. Anything wrong?”

“There’s a guy pacing back and forth outside your door. I thought you’d want to know.” Alex gasped. “He didn’t look dangerous though so I called you instead of the security.”

“Thank you.” Alex muttered. Her curiosity and anxiety leveling up. Could it be him? No, It couldn’t be… he doesn’t know.

“Your welcome. Anytime.”

Alex walked towards her door, peeking on the peep hole. There was no one. She frowned. Was her neighbor playing games on her? She stepped back and after a few seconds, she took a look once more. Again, there was no one.

She listened for any noise or movements outside. There was none. Carefully, she unbolted the locks and opened the door.

The sound of the opening door made him lift his battered face, meeting her shocked brown eyes.  He rose from where he’d sat and smiled tentatively. “I was about to knock.”

“What are you doing here?” The shocked Alex managed to question. The door remained partly opened.

Miguel felt he was unwelcomed. “I just wanted to make sure you’re okay.” He tried another smile despite the pain his jaw and lips were giving. “And to apologize for the fight kanina.”