RC --- Chapter TWENTY-FIVE

What you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new. Right now.” - Anonymous

December 8, Saturday

11:40 AM

Villa Esmeralda

“Mommy! Who are they?” Shanna innocently asked with curious gaze switching from each of the three men after I carried her.

There was still the uncomfortable silence as I felt questioning stares aimed at me. More so, it was Miguel’s piercing inquiring gaze that caught my eye. “Baby, they are mommy’s friends.” I ignored the rise of tautness and tension in the atmosphere as I lowered down Shanna and lightly stated, “Go give them a welcome peck, will you?”

She smiled and perkily ran for the three dumb founded men and kissed their cheeks then she went back to my front and tugged my shirt. “I’m hungry mommy, what’s for lunch?”

Just in time Mama Pilar appeared from the kitchen. “Tamang tama luto na ang pagkain.”

“Nay!” And Shanna ran towards her. “What’s the food Nay?”

“Your favorite adobo, chopsuey, and cassava cake for dessert. Mga iho, tara na alam kong gutom na kayo. Alex…” She was cueing me to invite the guests.

“Tara na.” I waited for them to follow Mama Pilar and Shanna then I walked alongside Miguel.

“You better have a good explanation on this.” Miguel whispered.

“But I don’t have one.” I murmured back.

He eyed me sharply and I tittered.

*****

December 7, Saturday

11:45 AM

Villa Esmeralda

Our lunch went pretty well in spite of the constant glances I was getting from Miguel. I noticed he wasn’t that close to kids unlike Gerrick and Ren who seemed to be genuinely entertained by Shanna’s energetic twaddle.

We went back to the living room after lunch and Shanna was now inseparable from Gerrick. When he carried her, she no longer wanted to go down. I understood she wanted a father’s attention, something we weren’t able to provide.

I looked at Miguel who was equally looking at me. By his look, I knew he needed that explanation. The real one.

I moved closer to where Shanna was showing pictures to Gerrick and Ren. “Shanna baby, Mommy and Tito Miguel will go outside for a bit. Don’t be a burden to your Tito Gerrick and Tito Ren, they’ll be needing rest later so do you, okay?”

Shanna stared at me, smiled and nodded her head then her attention went back to the set of pictures.

Miguel got to his feet and waited for me at the door while I took the two bouquets of flowers handed by Mama Pilar. “Mama Pilar, patulugin nyo na po si Shanna mamya ha, baka mabinat yan, mahirap na.”

I led Miguel out of the mansion passing by the line of bushes, the wide garden, and the gazebo before reaching a narrow paved pathway surrounded by pine trees. Behind those trees was an even greener wider plateau having a view over the town’s main city.