RC --- Chapter ELEVEN

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been’. - Anonymous

November 20, Thursday

03:00 AM

Eastside Cove

Xas’ House

… I hear you're taking the town again

Having a good time 

With all your good time friends

I don't think that you think of me

You're on your own now 

And I'm alone and free…

Naalimpungatan ako sa ring tone ng aking cellphone. I instinctively searched beneath my pillow, took it and stared on the screen, trying to decipher with my half opened eyes who the caller might be.

Unknown number. Napaungol ako sa inis and pondered whether to answer or not. Nag-iisip pa lang ako pero nabitawan ko na ang cellphone as once again sleep invaded my consciousness.

Finally, peace and silence.

… I hear you're taking the town again

Having a good time 

With all your good time friends

I don't think that you think of me

You're on your own now 

And I'm alone and free…

Ugh! I took the pillow and covered both my ears. Tinalikuran ko kung nasaan ang cellphone at pinilit na ibalik ang tuluyang naudlot kong pagtulog. Sa awa ng Diyos, tumigil na rin ang tumatawag.

Pero wala pang ilang segundo,

… I hear you're taking the town again

Having a good time 

With all your good time friends

I don't think that you think of me

You're on your own now 

And I'm alone and free…

Nyemas naman oh!  Hinagilap ko kung saan nakalagay ang cellphone at kinuha ito ulit. I looked at the screen again, Unknown number. Napatingin ako sa aking relo, 3Am. Mas lalong tumaas ang level ng pagkaasar ko.

Napagpasyahan ko na lang na sagutin ang tawag.

“Hello?!” Obvious irritation in my voice. I lazily spread my body over the bed and stretched briefly.

Walang sagot.

“Hello?!” Mas lalo ko pang nilakasan.

“Sir, Ma’am Adrianna just answered the phone.” I heard a male voice say. Napabuntong hininga ako, alam ko na kung sinong tumatawag.

“Darling! What took you so long to answer the phone?” Sabi nung kabilang linya. It’s freakin’ 3am here; do you expect me to still be awake at this time?  I wanted to blurt out.

“I was sleeping.” I casually answered instead. Nawala na yung antok ko kaya naman bumangon na lang ako at lumabas ng kwarto pababa ng first floor.

“Oh! Sorry anak, I forgot to check the time, I was too excited to bring you the good news.” No trace of apology in his voice though, mas namayani ang excitement.