RC --- Chapter NINETEEN

Maybe part of loving is learning to let go. - Anonymous

November 26, Wednesday

8:30 AM

MAT Enterprise Company

I kept myself engaged with the folders Miss de la Vega had given impassive of the sets of eyes I was pretty sure had been surveying me the very moment I entered the floor. Ang bilis talaga ng lakbay ng balita. Kahapon lang ako nagsimula dito pero mukhang nasa hot seat na kaagad ako.

I sighed heavily trying my best to focus on the policies and procedures of the HR department. Lagot ako nito kay Miss de la Vega minamadali pa man din nya akong basahin ito. By the way she treated me awhile ago; I concluded she was interested in Miguel. Hayy, too much for a good first impression.

“Adrianna!” Napatingin ako sa nagsalita. Si Martin nasa harapan ko sabay abot ng isang Starbucks coffee. I reluctantly took it and thanked him. “Policies?” Pumatong sya sa gilid ng mesa ko.

“Yes.” I answered as my attention went back to the spiraled book. Napasimangot ako nung nakita ko ulit kung gaano pa kadaming pahina ang kelangan kong basahin.

“Sus! You don’t have to read every page, Miss de la Vega wouldn’t even know if you have or haven’t. Kunwari lang ganyan ang image niya pero lenient din yan. Never naging strict yan sa mga interns.”

I stared at him with hopeful eyes but immediately crushed it. I have a hunch I’d be the exemption. “I still have to read it nonetheless.” I just simply stated and shrugged.

“Okay, if you say so.” He left my desk and went to the table at my right. I assumed that was his place. The HR department had five large rooms, each room separated by four to five cubicles. And each cubicle has four desks. Mine was in the room nearest to the HR manager’s office. How lucky was that!

9:00 AM. I managed to finish one of the three folders the manager had given when her secretary entered saying she wanted to talk to me. Oh just great! I followed her quietly and entered Miss de la Vega’s room.

“Sit Miss Castro.” She commanded the moment she sensed my presence. I willingly followed and carefully settled on the soft chair. She still took a few minutes staring at her computer screen. I studied her circumspectly. She was your typical office woman with neatly tied hair, glasses and stiff boring suits.

“Have you finished reading the policies?” Her attention finally on me.

“Ah, not yet.” There was no point in lying.

“I see.” Napatango lang ito and then katahimikan. I saw her looking at me keenly it made me feel uneasy. “I heard you and Sir Miguel left for lunch yesterday?” She asked in a low tone as if embarrassed asking the question. Her eyes even averting mine.

“Err, yes. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to come back.” I tried to catch her gaze but it was too elusive as it wandered elsewhere in the room.

“It’s okay. What can we do? It was the boss’ decision anyway.” I saw her hands tremble; she immediately withdrew and hid it under the table. “Ahmm… what kind of relationship do you have with him?” She asked afterwards, head bent down.

I was honestly slightly annoyed by her question. “I don’t think you have the right to ask…

SNIFF… SNIFF… SNIFF…