RC --- Chapter THIRTY-TWO

There is only one kind of love, but there are thousand imitations. --- Anonymous

January 6, Monday

9:30 AM

Somewhere

“Let’s end this Monique.” He felt it was his duty to personally end their short fling though he’d been avoiding her since Christmas.

The sophistication of the place and the presence of prying eyes might be the only reasons that stopped her from clobbering him but she seethed nonetheless. “So you’ve finally run out of excuses?”

“It was fun and all but you know very well there was nothing more to that.”

“It’s because of her isn’t it?”

He settled his stare on her once angelic face which now appeared bit-by-bit devilish. “Don’t even lay a finger on her.” He warned.

“I have a reputation to protect; it ain’t worth tarnishing just because of her.” She uncaringly shrugged her shoulders.

But Miguel was not convinced. “What we had was pure infatuation. I think you’d agree on that too.”

Monique released an annoyed smirk. “Of course. Of course. I just can’t imagine you’re giving me up this fast after all the chasing you did before.”

“I’m surprised myself.”

She eyed him conspicuously, surprised by the sprout of disappointment and irritation from within. “You’d regret this you know. One of these days, you’ll come begging me to take you back.”

“I never go back to my past.” Miguel emptied his glass wine before standing.

Monique’s eyes followed his movements, riled and partly hurt by the fact that she was being dumped when before, it was her who always abandoned. She clenched her teeth and hissed silently but loud enough for him to hear. “But you’re going back to her!? The irony!”

Miguel ceased from moving away, slowly turning his body to face her one last time. “You don’t understand… she was never my past.”

He left the obviously dismayed star after paying the bills. He wasn’t proud of what he did but he was sure of whom he wanted. And clearly now, it wasn’t Monique.

He hopped in his car, the office his destination when his phone vibrated. It was Gerrick calling. “What?”

“She’s back Boss.”

Miguel felt his surroundings froze momentarily so were the beatings of his heart before the latter started pumping again, this time too fast, loud and irregular. He drew in a full breath to calm his quaking body. “Give me the details now!”

*****

January 6, Monday

11:10 AM

AZO Towers

I had my concentration centered on the laptop’s screen while Carlo was closely leaning over me, explaining some major business words I haven’t heard before.

It was quiet. It was solemn until suddenly disrupted by the entrance of my secretary and a guest I wasn’t sure I was ready to deal with.

Sabay kaming napatingin ni Carlo sa nagbukas na pintuan at nagulat sa nakita. Agad-agad akong tumayo at hindi sinasadyang nabunggo ang baba ng katabi ko. Instinctively I held his chin assessing the damage.