Chapter 8

"I will." Whitetooth mumbled. Shocked, everyone glanced his way. "Whitetooth?" I hissed; I was astonished. "Is this because of Birdfeather?" My voice was low and my tail flicked to and fro. In the corner of my eye, I noticed Ebonykit's ears perk up. 

The white tom stared at the ground, numb. Without looking at anyone, he replied, "Kind of. I am infected anyway, though for some reason I haven't started throwing up blood yet, but I am feeling nauseated. I'll go." Whitetooth explained and Cloudjaw shook his head, shoving him playfully.

"Ha! Good one, Whitetooth." Cloudjaw retorted but Whitetooth's expression didn't change. His brother was slumped over as he slowly looked over at the SpiritClan deputy.  "Right, Whitetooth?" Cloudjaw croaked as Whitetooth dipped his head to us, climbing down the tree to my branch. I watched Cloudjaw swallow down a whimper as he witnessed the last of his kin sacrifice himself. Leopardstar reached for him, sorrow in her stern green eyes. "Let him go," I muttered to Leopardstar. 

"I'll keep them back as long as I can, go! Try to be quiet!" Whitetooth yelled and jumped down. "Come and get me!" He yowled over his shoulder as flesh-eaters raced after him. He kept screaming things as he pelted away, halting to wait for them to catch up and then dashing off again.

When the herd of infected was out of earshot, I hissed, "Go, go!" With Ebonykit in my jaws, I began to climbing down. "Be quiet and follow me!" My voice was muffled from my kits scruff, but I knew they had heard me. Leopardstar came in beside me and I rushed away. Cats filed in behind me and her.

"Where to?" I asked Leopardstar. She didn't reply right away. Impatiently, I insisted,"Well?" Peeking briefly over my shoulder, I counted the cats as they ran after me: Cloudjaw was beside Lilypatch, Poppyheart and Redfur bounded at the rear, Blackpaw herded Lighteningice who was holding Stormkit. Blackpaw held Sootkit and Heatherleg held Sunkit. I spotted Boldfang, Squirreltail, Mudpaw and Snowpaw on one side, charging through the maze of trees a bit away from the group. 

"Reedstar!" Leopardstar's growl made me look ahead. "I said, we'll head into LightClan and go straight for the gorge!"

"Alright!" I hissed at her, taking off more swiftly. Flesh-eaters dotted the pine woods, heads down and tails trailing behind them. They swayed and stumbled around the pine trees and dying birches. 

We pelted hard through the pine forest until we came to the marsh. The marsh was drying up - mud was everywhere, making it hard to run. Flesh-eaters were all over the ground and by the looks of it, they were sinking in the mud. They snapped at us but they were stuck, so we kept going with our eyes forward. One was actually a dog, sunken to his chest. The big, grey dog looked like a deer with its small head and pointy muzzle. I lifted my chin high to avoid getting Ebonykit dirty.

I looked over my shoulder to see the group still there, with everyone in it. Except Whitetooth. What a shame, he could've been useful. I thought, turning around again.

We just came to LightClan's old territory when I thought I was going to collapse. I wasn't used to running like LightClan and DarkClan. I slowed to a stop in the thick grass of the moor. The sun was covered with dark clouds. I wondered if it would rain. A nice rain storm would be nice, I'm going to hate cleaning my pelt! 

"Leopardstar..." I puffed, taking in big gulps. I set Ebonykit down. The young tom fluffed out his fur and stretched. "I think I'm going to collapse... We have to stop," She looked over at me with annoyance but said nothing.

"Carry me or something!" I whined at her. She rolled her eyes. My legs burned like they were on fire, my stomach was cramping up and my vision was going dark. "Halt!" Leopardstar ordered to the group. Instead of halting, Boldfang tripped over his own foot and tumbled into the long grass. A beautiful yellow butterfly fluttered away as Boldfang recovered.

I saw Blackpaw stumbling to the ground, wheezing and gasping for air. I caught sight of Poppyheart who was also collapsing. As for Cloudjaw, he had already fallen and was taking huge gulps of air.

"We aren't used to running like you are," I panted. "I noticed." Leopardstar muttered, looking away. I could tell that she too was breathing heavily.

"Ugh." I groaned, falling backwards again. "Let me rest..." Ebonykit attacked my tail and chased it as it twitched around. He's too young to understand the grave danger we are in. I'll let him play.

"No. We need to keep moving before the flesh-eaters find us. Besides, you could use the exercise." Lilypatch teased, narrowing her eyes at me.

I sat up again and stood up. My legs were wobbly and the cramp suddenly appeared when I started walking. I snatched up Ebonykit as we headed off.

"If someone doesn't carry me, I'm going to end up falling and then you're all doomed." I hissed to Leopardstar. She smirked and shrugged, murmuring in my ear, "We're doomed? No no, you will be. I won't be risking anyone to get your butt saved."

A growl crept up my throat but I didn't say anything more. Flesh-eaters moaned at us, trying to catch up to us as we trotted away. I could feel my neck becoming sore from holding Ebonykit's weight up for the long run.

I started to trot but the cramp came back. Wincing, I thought, Just run it off... The cramp refused to leave and by then, I was on the ground again. Redfur hurried to my side. I expected him to examine me, but he grabbed Ebonykit and the group continued on without me. "Come on, we have to go." Leopardstar hissed and I shook my head. I felt like I was going to heave. If I'm sick they'll think I'm infected... Hold it together Reedstar!

"I can't..." I panted, looking up at her. "My legs won't bring me anywhere and I think I'm going to pass out..."

"Leopardstar," Boldfang muttered, nudging her. "Flesh-eaters are on their way. They must've heard us or smelt our trail. We're going to continue on." I looked in behind the group and so did everyone else.

Sure enough, flesh-eaters were stumbling toward us. Not many because of the mud, but there were a few more than our group. "What do we do? I can't walk and you can't just leave me and what's left of my Clan behind. We're cats, like you." I murmured, giving Leopardstar a hopeful glance.

"Actually, it seems that the rest of your Clan has left you. And quit trying make me sorry for your selfishness, Reedstar! You couldn't care less if everyone else dies, as long as you're alright, you don't care." Leopardstar snapped loudly.

From a few tail-lengths ahead, Heatherleg glanced around nervously. "Leopardstar! Quiet down, the flesh-eaters will hear you!" The tall brown she-cat whispered with Sunkit's scruff in her mouth. The tiny golden kit let out a whimper. "Let's go, Heatherleg! I don't want to be eaten!"

"Either get up or I, too, am leaving you to fend for yourself. You're choice, Reedstar." Leopardstar muttered and Lilypatch nodded, hurrying away to catch up with the other cats.

I took in huge gulps of air. Do I give myself more pain and walk it off with them... Or do I stay and wait and meet up with them?