Chapter 9

And so it was settled. Leopardstar put Blackpaw over her shoulder and dashed off. I kept to the rear since I couldn't handle the pain, trotting carefully.

I looked over my shoulder and I instantly regretted it. Flesh-eaters were almost close enough to bite my tail off. This is why I like the front better! A growl threatened to escape my throat and I eased to a harder run as the group sped up.

Boldfang, Mudpaw, Snowpaw, and Squirreltail were in front of me. I wanted so badly to cuddle up with Squirreltail, safe from the infected. Her red fur was so fluffy and it looked so welcoming and warm. I bet she thinks I'm great. I'd for name our kits Redkit, Flamekit or Foxkit. If they were black, I'd name them Crowkit or Nightkit.

My thoughts were interrupted when the group halted.

I looked up and over the cats to see Leopardstar and Lilypatch pushing back flesh-eaters. "What's going on?" Snowpaw whispered to Mudpaw. "I think we've been caught in a jam," Mudpaw replied, getting down to a crouch.

Squirreltail turned around to me. "We have to help them, there are flesh-eaters coming from all directions!" She insisted. I shook my head and growled, "I knew this would happen, we have to leave, now! Screw them, I won't let myself be eaten alive!"

Squirreltail hesitated as I pelted away. Snowpaw ran after me and Mudpaw followed her. Squirreltail eventually followed me. "Reedstar! Where are you going?" Leopardstar yowled and I watched as she pushed a flesh-eater back into the gorge.

"I knew this would happen!" I yelled over my shoulder then turned back forward. I ran ahead, pushing the pain to the back of my mind. A leg cramp should be the least of my worries! I ran at the edge of the gorge until I found a steep pile of boulders.

It took me a while, but I managed to get up to the top. It was a flat boulder on top with other boulders under it. If I moved too much, it might collapse. Which would be deadly because the gorge isn't that far away from the left side of it.

Squirreltail, Mudpaw and Snowpaw scrambled up with me. Flesh-eaters stumbled toward us and my ears flattened to my head. And now if it collapsed, we'd either be eaten or fall to our death.

"Great, now we're stuck!" Mudpaw mumbled and Snowpaw started to vibrate in fear. She's as sketchy as a mouse! I could say 'boo' and she'd go flying!

Flesh-eaters clawed at the boulders and moaned at us. I growled at them and bared my teeth, but no fear showed in their blind eyes. "What do we do now?" Mudpaw whispered and I shrugged. "Wait it out, I guess." 

A sudden boom in the sky made us all look up. Thunder crackled and lightening shot through the air, and in the blink of an eye, it started pouring. The mud from our pelts basically melted off. My heart throbbed at the sudden thought of how Ebonykit was going to make out.

I sighed and slumped down. I looked through the moor to see Leopardstar and the rest of the group pushing flesh-eaters off the edge. Lilypatch and Boldfang pushed the dead trees down and with a loud snap, they fell and hit the other side.

Through the pouring rain, moaning of flesh-eaters and the river in the gorge, I heard Leopardstar and Lilypatch yowl, "Go, go, go! Run before it collapses!"

"Wow, great idea Reedstar! Now we're stuck with flesh-eaters while they get the remote place!" Squirreltail yowled, her fur bristling up out of rage.

"I thought it was the best idea. We were all doomed, they just had luck." I growled, narrowing my eyes to see better through the pouring rain.

Silence. I swear it's the worst thing ever. Especially if you like the one who is giving you it.

I watched Leopardstar shove cats onto the bridge and then her shove flesh-eaters back. The bridge was flimsy and it looked slippery. Redfur managed to get across safely with my kit in his jaws. Poppyheart was one of the last cats to cross it and she almost slipped off. She ran it off as if it hadn't mattered.

Finally, I spoke up. "We're going to have to meet up with them, and quick. We will have time if someone distracts them," I announced and Mudpaw and Snowpaw exchanged concerned glances.

"And who will be the distraction? What will they do?" Snowpaw whimpered, cowering down into Mudpaw's brown fur.

"Hmm..." I mumbled, smirking a crooked smile. "How about... you!" I hissed and just as I said 'you' I shoved Snowpaw down and into the crowd of flesh-eaters.