Chapter 14 - The Last of Reedstar

"Blood will surround the selfish and jaws will consume the softest." A voice hissed in my ear. It seemed to echo in my head. I was throw into a whirl of memories, how I had that dream and how I had several night-terrors after that. It all seemed to happen so fast. I realized as I fell to the currents, it happened exactly like my dream.

Bloody, growling cats stepped off of the edge after me. They had no sense of right and wrong. The waves churned as the water tumbled down-stream and to the marsh in DarkClan and to a lake out of our territories. Rocks jutted out of the river, pointed and threatening. I let out a ear-piercing screech as the water came closer... and closer... 

My legs flailed around and my eyes met with Leopardstar's. She watched me fall with her paws - one resting over the other - over the edge. The water came to me before I could take in a gulp of air. I was plunged into the fast moving water, the pressure of the water causing my ears to ring. Surrounded by waves, I fought to break the surface. The current thrashed me around so fast I didn't know what way was up.

I looked around and the water slowly faded to red. The flesh-eaters plunged into the water with me, barrel-rolling down stream quicker than me. Their jaws gaping open and eyes wide. Air bubbles escaped their open mouths.

My lungs ached and I tried to reach the surface but I couldn't get there. The water was too quick. I tumbled down twice as fast as a rabbit could bolt away from danger. My vision grew dark as moments passed with no oxygen. Instinct made me open my mouth even though I knew there was no air underwater. 

I closed my mouth as I swallowed the red water. Help! Someone help! I screamed silently and then I caught sight of Squirreltail. Flailing my legs around, I instead attempted to get to Squirreltail.

Her body was caught on a sharp rock, no movement coming from her whatsoever. She must be unconscious! "Squirreltail!" I gurgled and I realized how bad of an idea that was. I used the last of my energy to grab her and push her to the top. Squirreltails' legs kicked a bit and my heart fluttered. Did I just help someone? I wondered. My lungs felt like someone was clutching them, holding on for dear life.

I looked up to see Squirreltail floating to the top, moving slowly. I knew she had given up when she got stuck; she must've been letting death take her. I should've been better, and I realized that as I held onto the last bit of the air in my lungs. Maybe you would have lasted longer if you hadn't of been so selfish. A familiar voice advised to me. It was almost like they had spoken right into my ear even with the water surrounding my failing body.

I squeezed my eyes shut and my body automatically sucked in the tangy water. My body shut down and I was sent into an unwelcoming cold, dark place.