Chapter 36 - Lilypatch's P.O.V.

We entered camp just as the dawn light was beginning to filter through the trees and cascade over the ground. Birds chattered all around us and for a split heartbeat, it felt like there was nothing to worry about. Frost decorated the dying grass and the stems of the wilting flowers. A stiff breeze blew through the patrol, one that sent shivers down my back. As I breathed in and out, puffs of white clouds came out of my nostrils. Leaf-bare is coming... Much quicker than I had expected, too.

As I led my patrol into the first island, I could sense tension as heavy as a cloud ready to burst with rain. I exchanged a glance with Mudpaw, but he didn't seem to notice the same feeling. Each of us had at least one freshly killed prey in our mouths. I held a sparrow while the others either had mice or squirrels. There were few species we could find, even as we ventured out of the usual territory. 

Crossing the tree-bridge quickly, I hurried into camp to drop my prey. Many cats had their heads bowed and very few were actually talking. Only the leaders were murmuring to themselves, an occasional glance at our small remaining group every few heartbeats. "What's going on?" I called to Poppyheart as I headed her way. Her shoulders were sticking out as her head hung, watching her paws as she shuffled them and dug at the solid ground. 

Poppyheart sunk her claws into the soil beneath her and let out an exhausted sigh. "Lighteningice... Someone murdered her." She croaked without moving. A familiar pain pulsed in my heart as I glanced around and realized the beautiful white she-cat was no where to be seen. There was a ball of grief stuck in my throat as my eyes wandered over to Stormkit and Sootkit. Sootkit chased after his stronger brother who was holding a feather in his mouth. Neither seemed to realize that their mother was dead. 

When is this sorrow going to end? It's like we're still stuck in this loop of confusion and despair with, seemingly, no way out...

Poppyheart lifted her heavy gaze and followed mine to where the two kits played. "No one knew how to break it to them, so we said she was out for a walk..." She whispered. 

Shaking my head, I glanced around at the warriors. The Clans that had taken us in were on one side of the island, while our small group huddled on the other. "We need to find this murderer before they kill more of us. I am not going to let my warriors get killed anymore! This is absolute madness." I exclaimed, unsheathing my claws in rage. 

"Who every said we were your warriors? I'm still a DarkClan warrior and always will be!" Heatherleg hissed, glaring at me from only a few tail-lengths away. She held Sunkit close with her tail. 

Shaking my head, I scoffed, "That's not the point, Heatherleg! You know what I'm trying to say." My shoulder fur bristled out of embarrassment. I ducked my head and looked to Poppyheart for some kind of reassurance. She kept her eyes fixed on the two brothers as they fought over the feather.

"Oh, I know what you meant. You're turning into Reedstar! Selfish! You can't just claim us, we have the blood of different Clans! If it wasn't for this awful outbreak, we would be home in our own territories right now." Heatherleg snarled. Her fur was standing on end and her lip was curled, showing her glistening teeth. Why is she acting like this all of a sudden? I didn't mean to "claim" anyone... My eyes widened as she began to growl at me. 

Sunkit backed away from her foster mother and tugged at her leg with her teeth. "Stop it, Heatherleg. Don't be so mean!" She squealed through her skin and fur. All of the cats on the island were looking over. The leaders stopped talking and watched intently through narrowed eyes. 

I was astonished, unable to reply. I could only splutter out what was supposed to be the beginning of a sentence. Heatherleg didn't flinch as Sunkit pleaded her to calm down. Could Heatherleg be...

Mudpaw let out a hiss as he hurried over to stand in between us. "Knock it off, you two! We were taught to treat each other as equals and Lilypatch is doing just that! I'm sure she didn't mean to offend you." The young tom snapped.

"Mudpaw is right. Enough of the arguing, we don't need these pitiful disturbances!" Blackstar stomped over with his teeth bared in a snarl. Bramblestar strode in beside him, his face blank, and ordered, "We let your group stay here and in return for our kindness, you will help us survive. Which means you need to be peaceful." 

"I didn't ask to come here... If Blazefang hadn't of offered us this place, we probably could have found our own home. And if Cloudjaw hadn't of agreed to live with total strangers, then we wouldn't have lost two of our warriors!" Heatherleg sobbed and let herself relax. She seemed frightened now, mumbling herself, "I just want this nightmare to end..."

Poppyheart's gaze shot to Heatherleg, but before she could speak, Mistystar joined in. "And we never asked for you to come here. Blazefang offered your group a safe place to stay; it was out of kindness. Whoever is killing your cats isn't on us, it's on you." The tall grey leader mewed as she padded in behind the two tom leaders. Her blue gaze was stern as she glanced at Heatherleg and then to me.

Poppyheart's tail whipped from side to side as she stalked toward Heatherleg. "How dare you blame Cloudjaw for this? He was only trying to get us somewhere! And he did! I think this place has been the best place we've been to since this curse started!" The medicine cat growled with her eyes narrowed at the tan she-cat.

"Actually, I think Heatherleg is quite right. It seems this place gave you what you needed, both good and bad. You're all getting what you deserve... Blazefang certainly did the wrong thing when he dragged these worthless souls here... You will all pay for their mistakes." A strangers voice echoed down menacingly from one of the two trees that hovered above us. It gave me the chills when I heard it. I know that voice... It made rage begin to boil up inside of my gut, a feeling I hadn't of felt so intensely for what seemed like moons... It reminded me of someone so close to home...

Every cat glanced up at the two trees but no one moved. The three leaders exchanged narrowed glances, their fur standing on end. "None of you will survive this, that's a promise." The voice purred, its tone scratchy. But as much as I racked my brain, I just couldn't pin-point any names.

Mudpaw let out a gasp and yowled, "Reedstar!" He raced to one of the trees, but Blackstar held him back with his front paw. My heart lurched. That can't be... He's dead... Right?