Chapter 11

I'm still editing the chapters. I hope they are better than what they were before!
*****

Viperslash and Venomsoul were on top of a Twoleg nest. Wooden boxes were stacked up on the side of the wall so I ran to them to climb up.

"Where in StarClan's name were you? Why did you ditch us? I could kill you two right now!" I yelled as I scrambled up the tall, wet boxes.

Venomsoul shrugged and Viperslash rolled his eyes. "No one would wake up. We tried to warn Leopardstar and you about the barrier but no one would wake up, so we simply left." Viperslash mewed, shrugging it off as if it weren't a big deal.

"Are you three all that's left?" Venomsoul whispered as Squirreltail lifted Mudpaw onto the roof and climbed up herself.

I shook my head, answering before Mudpaw could blurt out what happened to Snowpaw. "No, there are still many cats but they crossed the gorge before we could." I answered, looking up to the sky.

"Actually, we would've been there too if you hadn't of run off." Squirreltail snapped, her tail fluffy lashing in anger. I ignored the comment and looked to the right, away from everyone else.

After a few moments of an awkward silence, I muttered, "It was the best decision at the time. They were bound to of been eaten." 

"Mm-hmm, right." Squirreltail hissed. 

"Well on that note, what do we do now?" Venomsoul asked after a few long heartbeats of silence. The infected cats and even two Twolegs were clawing at the Twoleg den. Too mouse-brained to even consider the boxes. "We'll have to wait it out. We can't go anywhere now," I replied. No one else was going to say the truth, so I said what we all knew we were going to have to do.

"Hooray, waiting." Mudpaw whispered, his head down and paws shuffling.

The sound of groaning and rain beating on the roof filled my ears. If I fell asleep quickly, it'd be wonderful. But I highly doubted it. 

The sun was beginning to drift down the sky. I wondered what Ebonykit was doing. Is he thinking about me? Does he miss me? Or does he even know I am his father? Thoughts whirled around in my brain as the rain slowly started to sprinkle until it stopped completely. I watched the sky turn pink and purple at the horizon line. Secretly, I wished I could see over the gorge to find out what was going on with them. Are they grieving for us? Do they wonder what we're doing? Did they leave already or are they waiting until the morning?

It was torture at it's finest.

I must've fallen asleep because I woke up when the moon was up at its highest point. The rain had come again, just drizzling. 

Squirreltail and Mudpaw laid back-to-back, far away from where I was. Viperslash and Venomsoul were beside them, curled up and sleeping as well. The four of them were all on the point of the roof where the two parts of the roof met, the peek.

The moaning was gone for some reason. I slid down the somewhat steep roof to check out the flesh-eaters.

I looked over the edge of the roof and walked the edge. Where are all the flesh-eaters? I asked myself, scanning the ground. Not a soul nor an undead creature was in sight.

Hurrying over to the huddled cats, I nudged each of them as I meowed their names. "Squirreltail! Viperslash! Venomsoul! Mudpaw!" I tried to be quiet as the infected could simply be just around the corner. Mudpaw stirred in his sleep but no one woke.

Becoming impatient, I unsheathed one claw and poked Mudpaw and then Squirreltail. "What?" Mudpaw squeaked in shock.

"Wake up! The flesh-eaters have wandered off!" I exclaimed and Viperslashs' head shot up. "Am I hearing you right? You've gone insane." Viperslash sneered, standing and skidding down the damp roof.

He let out a gasp as he peeked over the roof. "My great StarClan, you're right!" He called up the roof and Squirreltail sat up. His tail erected and when he turned around, his eyes were glazed with hope. "Let's go check it out," Venomsoul insisted, jumping down off the roof.

Viperslash and Squirreltail hopped down and Mudpaw and I stayed put. "I won't risk it," I murmured to myself, padding up the roof and over to the other side. Still no flesh-eaters.

I watched Venomsoul, Viperslash and Squirreltail depart from each other, stalking around corners and checking hiding places.

"Any flesh-eaters?" I hissed to the three warriors and they turned to Mudpaw and I. "Not a mouse-brain in sight!" Viperslash called back. Excitement was clear in his voice.

"Do you think it's over?" Mudpaw muttered, hope flooding his dark blue eyes. I shrugged, "Probably not, they might've heard something over night and left the Twolegplace." Mudpaw's eyes drained and he looked helpless. "At least for now we are safe." The young brown tom dipped his head.

Looking away, he sat down on the edge of the roof and watched Squirreltail, Viperslash and Venomsoul as they made their way to the fence that had fallen.

"Come on, we should go to LightClan's gorge now before they return." Squirreltail called up to us without looking at us. She kept going as if her suggestion was what was going to happen. I hopped down onto a metal, hollow box and then onto the ground. Mudpaw followed, dragging his tail.

"Hurry, we don't want them to catch up to us." I growled, trotting out of the Twolegplace.