Chapter 10

Snowpaw's screech was the loudest I had ever heard. It echoed in my ears. "Help! Help me Mudpaw!" She screamed but I held Mudpaw back. I watched through emotionless eyes as the flesh-eaters tore at her thick white pelt. Blood stained it, forming splotches of crimson red. 

Mudpaw reached for her extended paw. "Snowpaw! I'll save you!" Mudpaw yelled. Snowpaw reached for it but I batted Mudpaw's paw away. "No!" Snowpaw gurgled, blood dripping from her jaws.

"She's a goner, run!" I snarled, pushing Mudpaw forward.

"You're insane! You're a murderer! How could you? She's my best friend! Who in StarClan's name do you think you are?" Mudpaw yowled, holding his ground.

"Your name should've been Suicidestar! I can't believe you just shoved her down there to be eaten!" Squirreltail yelled, pelting past me with Mudpaw on her heels. I could have sworn I spotted hatred in her amber eyes.

Rain pelted down harshly and I ignored their comments on my decision. It was for the best. She was slowing us down anyway! I thought, running behind Squirreltail. I might have to kill Mudpaw and my dear, dear Squirreltail. What if they tell Leopardstar? Why, I'd be killed in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

Flesh-eaters turned our way and stumbled toward us. "We won't make it!" Squirreltail yowled, turning back the way we originally came - into LightClan's territory once again.

I followed her, Mudpaw at my heels. Should I trip him and save Squirreltail and I? I wondered, but before I got a chance to think about it, Squirreltail swerved off toward SpiritClan territory.

"Where are you going?" I called to her and she just kept pounding onward, her tail moving like a wave in the wind.

"Yeah, Squirreltail! Where are we going?" Mudpaw called to us. I swear I heard a voice crack as he talked. Like, come on. Snowpaw was bound to be killed eventually! Get over it you fox-hearted loser.

I groaned and pelted onward, trying to run faster. My legs were tired out from the last run, and now I felt like I was going to collapse for sure. Right here, right now. And I knew if I did, no one would stop to help me.

I made sure I was breathing evenly as I followed Squirreltail. Just as I was slowing down, we came to the broken fence where Scar was mauled.

"Reedstar! No, help!" He screeched but I didn't come to his rescue. His voice echoed in my mind as I ran over the fence. Blood was stained on the wooden fence and chunks of fur and flesh were still remaining on the splintered wood. Flies buzzed around the remainder of his skeleton. As we passed, I could have sworn I noticed him twitch.

I looked forward again and Squirreltail halted. "It's blocked! There's too many!" She hissed and Mudpaw's eyes grew wide. Mine did too. Flesh-eaters were everywhere, stumbling around, waiting for their next victim. And we were on their menu.

"Reedstar, Mudpaw, Squirreltail! Up here!" A voice called to us from above. The voice sounded so familiar it made my fur stand on end.

I looked up to the top of the Twoleg nest. The ditchers.