Chapter Four

I was in the fifth grade when my dad left us. He had some other woman he loved. Though everybody, even including my grandparents were critical about him; I had seen his nice side as well. He loved me a lot, but not enough.

May be that he got tired of our poor circumstances, or may be that he could not live with mom. I was unaware of the reason. But I never doubted his love for me. I had only a several happy memories about him. The most special one for me was the day he taught me to ride the bicycle. I fell down and got myself bruised badly. He took me to hospital and was beside me when I got the stitches done. I was clumsy even back then. Yet, despite every accusation that my relatives made against him, I knew that he loved me; at least a little bit. The way he cared for me is still in my head.

But was it right for him to leave us like this? Why was he scared? Was it right for a father to run away like that, leaving two young girls and his wife stranded?

It was not that I hated him, but I could not forgive him.

Was there anything to forgive?

That was his decision. He was timid.

It was during the parents’ meetings that I got uncomfortable the most. All the others came with their parents, I only had mom. When the others asked where my dad was, there has been no lie that I have never tried to cover up the situation.

When other kids longed for their birthdays, I was the one to skip school. I could not afford to buy others treats.

The kids read the register to find whose birthday is on that day and demand treats. It was just that November that I had to be at school because I was applying for a competition that day and I had to get some documents to be signed. I still regretted coming to school that November in 2010.

My mom was not the exact type of ideal mom that one would like. She was hot tempered. But I never doubted her love for me and my sister. It was hard on her as well. She sacrificed all her blood, sweat and tears to raise us, being a single parent and all.

In a society like this, raising girls is really difficult. She never did remarry. I thought that she was scared that we would be treated indifferently by a step father if she had done so.

At the outset, I was at least stable. But my sister was volatile, immature and unstable. Mom had to take care of her always. I had no choice than to manage my affairs by myself. I should not burden her more. May be that is why I was already not a stranger to depression. But what choice did I have anyway?

My hatred for males was universal. It was too hard for me to understand them. Being in high school, I had seen enough of affairs. Boys always played with girls. It was the same thing on loop everyday at school. The gossip at the canteen was always about the new and broken affairs.

Every guy was like my dad. Was that an inherent quality of the males?

How could they be fickle for no sound reason at all?

Even when I went to the washroom in the morning I heard sobs of girls. That scenario was boring. I was already sick of it. Why would they date if they know that they would get hurt at the end? Was a guy worth that self-harm?

This often lead me to the question, why was there no true love at all?

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

A/N:
Love you loads 😍