Chapter Forty Five

"Halmeoni!!! I need water!!!"

I heard some young man screaming from the corridor.

There were two tumblers on the table I was sitting at with a jug of water. I was asked to drink water until halmeoni brought her gimbup. I filled the glass with water and took it to hand it over to the screaming guy.

I couldn't see his face as his back was turned towards me. Sweat had soaked his shirt making it plastered to his body. I could see slightyly defined muscles.

Wait, I shouldn't be thinking of such!

I cleared my throat to signify my presence.

"Excuse me Mister, here is your water."

He turned towards me and I couldn't see his eyes well. For a while I thought it was Min Yoongi. By gosh there were so many with the same features and same surnames!

The bangs fell over just above his eyes and he smiled.

"Oh, kamsahamnida. I didn't know that halmeoni had a visitor."

He took the tumbler of water from my hands and started gulping it down.

"It is okay. At least now you know," I replied.

"Are you the new maid she found?"

"No? Do I look like a maid?"

"Else what would a girl be doing at a house with a grandma and two boys?"

"When I came here there was only halmeoni." I defended myself.

Did I look like some homeless person? AHAHA try me.

"So savage. You'd do well for a maid. I'm Min Yeonseok by the way. Nice to meet you."

"Min Yeonseok-ssi, I am not a maid. For God's sake, I am the new helper for your grandmom's book warehouse. I am Kristene Andrews. The pleasure is all mine."

"Exactly. That was the maid post I was referring to. So after all, you are a maid." He sniggered.

Aish ... you! Wait till I get back at you.

"Yeonseok-ah, why are you making fun of her?"

Halmeoni who had come to the corridor with a tray of gimbup said.

"Your new maid is fun, halmeoni." Yeonseok replied only to get hit by the empty tray that halmeoni had. I almost choked at how hard she hit Yeonseok.

"She is my daughter just like you and your silly head of a brother. At least she looks intelligent and would manage my warehouse well unlike you dorks. Should I tell her how many times you mixed up book titles and the number of times you fell from bookshelves after trying to climb on those like a monkey instead of using the ladder?"

Yeonseok's face went red.

"I meant it as a joke Kristene... no hard feelings right?" Yeonseok scratched the back of his neck.

"Yeonseok is older than you and is in university second year. He is just visiting me because weirdly he happens to have a vacation."

Halmeoni mouthed the word vacation in a way that it made as if he was skipping classes for some reason.

"Ahh.. I see. So he is an oppa to me."

"Yes chocolate girlie. Call me oppa." Yeonseok beamed.

Korean males really did have an interesting craving to be called oppa.

"That is my shop across the road..." Halmeoni pointed at a rustic looking shop.

"Mrs. Min's Attic ... wow. The name is super wow. I LOVE IT!"

"It was actually the Min Junior who came up with that creepy name," she said.

"Yeah, I am so proud of my brother." Yeonseok pulled up his collars.

"Who is this brother of yours? It would be a great pleasure for me to meet him. Having a signature of a celebrity would be valuable in future." I smirked.

"Yah! My signature is much more important, you chocolate of a girl!"

"Use something different oppa, I am tired of that chocolate phrase," I causally yawned.

"Huh okay, I will think of some unique name and let's see then!" Yeonseok thought for a moment. "He should have been by home now. I bet, that jerk must be lurking somewhere. I was asked to fill in for him at the chicken place. I wonder how he endures it inside that bulk of kumamon. It was so stuffy. I hated my own smell for once."

"You anyway smell bad as a skunk." Halmeoni remarked.

Did savagery run in all DNA lines of Min family?

"Halmeoniiiii...." Yeonseok pouted.

"Go and get yourself washed."

Yeonseok made a face and walked away into the house.

"I sometimes wonder if he is really in university," halmeoni chuckled. "But Yoongi is way so much different from him. So reserved, so quiet... no wonder why he became like that. The boy went through a lot in his childhood."

She sighed.

WAIT, WHAT?

"... who is that again?" I asked.

"Min Yoongi. He is my youngest grandson."

At once my world stopped.

Then only I noticed the face I had seen years ago with that iconic gummy smile of Yoongi in the pictures that were kept in the old cabinet which stood in a gloomy corner.

She was not lying. It was Yoongi. How could I have been so blind?

Yet ... in the pictures, Yoongi's expressions varied a lot.

In the pictures of the time I had met him, he was flashing big gummy smiles and was always in the centre. Then... in the rest of the pictures, Yoongi looked desolate.

Eyebags were under his eyes and his expressions were smug. He looked as if he was trying to get himself swallowed in darkness by always standing in the extreme corners.

He looked forsaken; so lost.

What did go wrong?

××××××××××××

A/N:

Gimbap is ... well a Korean dish. 😋

Did you miss me? No ... right? 😂