Chapter Twenty Two

I walked towards the Birch, after the final bell had rung and waited for Namjoon.

I had not actually met him like this, but he was gonna help me with the play. Additionally, I considered him as a brother.

Thinking about Namjoon gave me a homely feeling.

I did not have to say anything to him, he just read me so well. His sense for reading and literature matched mine. Plus, I had never been annoyed by him.

Who was actually Kim Namjoon to me?

It was time to find out.

Namjoon arrived on time, smiling all the way towards me. His eyes closed when he smiled, I wondered how he could see where the hell he was headed to.

“Kristene, it is time,” said he as he opened the copy of the play.

“So you are beginning the play with the dance, it will be a ballroom dance. I just... cannot help you with that, may be Yoongi can.”

Why was he pushing me to that Yoongi?

“Let’s do the role play, Joonie. I'd better learn to pronounce the words well,” I said.

“By the way, is Joonie all right for you?” I asked.

“Yeah, it makes me feel like ....” He paused. “Like someone close to you; so it is fine,” he said and smiled.

“Let’s start off then.”

We did the role play and we had so many things to laugh about the whole thing. At times, my pronunciation was bad when little little words were in a big line. I tended to mess up a lot.

My bad.

Without my awareness, several hours had flown past and Joonie oppa bought me a fruit juice to drink as we headed to home.

He actually insisted on walking me. We talked of things about literature and poems.

“Joonie oppa, are you coming to Kookie’s Night Camp?”

“That brat made me say ‘yes’ so I have to come.” He chuckled. “But why are you suddenly calling me oppa?”

I shrugged. “I just feel as if you are family to me. It is definitely not a friend, not a lover either. You know, I have none here in Seoul and my mom and sister are in Busan. I live by myself, so having a brother means a lot.”

I was balancing myself on a kerbstone as he walked along the road beside me.

He stopped and took a good look at me.

“I know what a family means Krissy. My mom and dad live with me and they love me so much. I cannot even imagine how living without them would be like.”

I jumped on to the kerbstone in front of me and I could not reach it. I was about to fall when Namjoon oppa caught me by my waist.

“You calling me your brother means so much to me. I haven’t had a sister so, I promise you, my clumsy yeodongsaeng-ah, that I will look after you and protect you with all I have.”

“Really?... But I am so broken. I am poor, my family is broken and... and ...”

“Shuush,” Namjoon kept his finger on my lips.

“Yeah, you are broken. Yet, every beautiful thing has a crack in it. Else nothing will make it be more beautiful and unique than others. You see Krissy, you have a beautiful heart. You do not wear it up on your sleeve because you know that people will use that against you. Yet those who really know who you are, love you a lot. I became one of them. I don’t care what your background is, you are my sister and that is it.”

Namjoon oppa smiled.

“You just got yourself a weird elder brother Krissy, congrats.” He patted my head.

I was in awe.

I never thought that he would think of me as his sister.

“Your troubles define you who you are. The ones that you achieve make you shine, the ones you fail make you stronger.” Namjoon said and removed his glasses.

“Dongsaeng-ah, look at me.”

I was puzzled, but I anyway looked at him.

He was handsome and looked kind.

“Are you done?”

I nodded. Then he placed his glasses on my nose and pushed them back to make me wear his glasses.

“Kristene with spects, what do you see?”

“I see a Kim Namjoon in a different shade than before.”

“Do you see what I mean? 

People wear different types of glasses; it might be Gucci, Ray Bans or what not. They judge others from what they see through the spectacles of different brands. The brands can be ego, selfishness... you name it. Most of the time they forget that they have glasses on and they deceive themselves that they are seeing everything with their naked eyes. That is how empathy and humanity gets shrouded by those negative values.”

Namjoon paused for a while.

“When they learn and remove the spectacles, they will be humane and will see what is truly beautiful again, Kristene. You have done nothing wrong to be treated differently. I can see people well enough; I know that I have to remove my glasses at times... and ..." He paused again.

"I bet Min Yoongi knows that too.”

It was the exact last line of his that made my heart flinched.