Chapter Forty

“What is up? Did Jungkook hurt you? ... Aiiish that brat!”

Hoseok was leaning against the wall with a hoodie covering his face. But I just knew his voice.

“I just don’t understand this anymore Hoseok. I just don’t.”

He cracked his knuckles.

“I swear that if that Bio nerd hurts you, I am gonna murder him.”

I didn’t expect this. Why would have I have ever expected Hoseok to protect me anyway?

“That is so nice of you. I will keep that in mind. But ... why are you..”

“- being your bodyguard?”

Hoseok filled me in.

“Yeah ... why?” I asked.

“Yoongi. He asked me to watch over you. So I am officially your guardian angel. Your hope. J-Hope.”

“What a weird name: J-Hope. But anyway, thanks. I never knew that Yoongi was having such a great friend.”

Hoseok scoffed.

“I knew him since we were in elementary. I just know every move of him, every little thing that makes him happy and sad. When my best friend asks me to take care of the precious one that makes him happy as if he’s in heaven, I wouldn’t deny him that. If he is happy, I am happy.”

“... I wish I had a bestie like that too.”

“You’ll find one soon. But whatever that may happen, I am not gonna let anyone distance you two.”

I was gonna deny that I liked him.

“Stop the show Kristene. I know you love him. It is the way you look at him, it is the way you treat him, it is the way you smile to yourself when anyone mentions Yoongi’s name. I have proof already. I am not that dumb not to see love radiating from you. I give my blessings to both of you. Did you really think that I was sleeping when I was having classes with both of you?”

Hoseok drew a halo above his head from his hand.

“Hoseok-ah, saranghae!”

“Tell Yoongi that you love him, silly. Why was Jungkook here?”

“It’s complicated. But ... since you are my guardian angel, I will tell it to you.”

I felt that I could trust him.

Hoseok came and sat beside me.

“Go on girl.”

“Kookie ... he .... well he ... asked me  out.”

Hoseok just chocked.

“WHAT?”

“Don’t yell Hoseok. I am waiting for my mom’s call. It seems that Kookie has got my mom’s permission to ask me out. So now she will kill me if I don’t accept him. I cannot argue with mom. You know that Kookie and Yoongi have totally different economic and social backgrounds and all.”

"Yeah, I know. But sometimes the pretension works to ... nah. Never mind that."

"Pretending what? What for?"

Where was this leading me?

“Drop that. Why did you decline Jungkook’s offer?”

“Because I didn’t like him enough to love him.”

“What about Yoongi? Do you like him enough to lovehim?”

“Yeah, I do.”

"What is keeping you off from accepting him then?"

"I don't know how mom will react. I was thinking of coming to a stable position before I accepted Yoongi ... but Jungkook set things on a fast pace and it is like the whole world is gonna fall on my head."

"Don't get me wrong. But I just feel that Jungkook is only attracted to you; like a butterfly to a flower, like a moth to the flame. Select the simile you like."

"Why would he get attracted to me?"

"You think too lowly of yourself. You are one of a kind. From your skin tone to work, talk and everything about you attracts anyone. It's that most people deny their likeness towards you and appear as if they hate you. Yoongi was one like that before he reached his episode of self realisation. But, Jungkook hasn't come there yet. I just know both guys well enough, yet Yoongi is the truer one here. I like you as a best friend and I am clear about that. Yoongi wants you to be with you and make you his forever... where as Jungkook is just ..."

"... like a moth to the flame? Just attracted to me with no valid grounds, seeing no future together???" I suggested.

"Yeah, he is more like idolizing you. Kookie seriously needs to get things sorted out as soon as possible."

"Mere attraction... I see now."

My phone rang.

“There you have your answer. Good luck Kristene. I am sure that you know yourself and what you want more than any other in this world.”

“Kamsahamnida, Hoseok-ah.”

Hoseok squeezed my hand and left.

I went to the balcony to answer the call.

The sky was so clear that the stars shone brightly above my head. The crescent moon was covered by a mischievous puffy cloud. I tapped the answer icon.

“Annyeonghaseyo Eomma.”

“Annyeong. How are you?”

“I am fine. How about Julie and you?”

“We are doing well. She is the class topper again. I have high expectations of her.”

I smirked. “I bet you do.”

“Now I have high expectations of you too. I know that you aren’t really bright and intelligent as your sister Julie, yet I heard that you’ve got an opportunity to come to a position.”

“Opportunity?” 

Just whom did she think I was?

“A boy named Jeon Jungkook called me yesterday and said that he liked you. I did my research and found that he is a co-orporate heir to a big company. The boy is good looking, seemed courteous and kind. And STABLE.”

My mom gave the word an uncommon stress.

“I understand. But -”

“No buts Kristene. Accept him.”

“If I have someone I like already?”

“Who? Min Yoongi?”

“How did you even...”

“I have my informants. Stop fooling around with Min Yoongi. Jungkook is a good catch for a girl like you. It is as if a Witch in a story got proposed by the Prince Charming.”

“I don’t love people for money. I have my standards.”

My mom could be really narrow in her perspectives. Here she was really really narrow.

××××××××××××××

A/N:

After a long time!!!! Missed you lovelies!

Don't get annoyed about the moth simile. It's like a slang term to describe baseless attraction.

Kookie is a wrecker of mine in real life, so I like him too. I just want to make everything real for you, rather than creating a major dream world.

Love you all! 😘