Chapter Eleven

Everything seemed normal here.

That was abnormal to me.

I looked at Min Yoongi’s seat but he was not present still. It was already 5 minutes until the bell goes off to start the school, but he was not here yet. He was not the guy who appeared late to class.

Something in my gut told me that something was seriously wrong.

The time whiled away and the bell was rung. It seemed that he would not come today.

What was keeping him off the school anyway?

The school carried its duty’s of teaching us – the pumpkin heads. That was nothing extraordinary. Somehow I felt worried and disinterested throughout the day. So I decided to drop by Min Yoongi’s locality and spy on him.

I stuffed the fancy bag in my bag to hide it from Mandy’s hawk eyes.

Even Jisoo was in the class, but where the hell was this boy?

It was not that I did not know where he lived. I was the one who helped the class teacher Mrs. Janette to update the student information system, so I kind of knew where he lived. I just wished that my memory would serve me right.

I took the bus and headed for Daegu.

The skirt problem bothered me once again, but my mind was occupied my bigger worries than that.

Actually, since when did I start to worry about that bully!

After quite a while, I reached my destination. I read the number plates hung outside the houses along my way, and found the house I was looking for. The exterior of the house seemed modest. Nothing was boastful about it.

Was the Min family like, devoted to minimalism or something?

I organised my answers to the questions that might be posed by his parents. I always thought that having the answers ready at hand whenever a problematic situation arose was the best thing. So I practised by having question and answer session.

I was unsuccessful at first, I forgot all the lines and started to stammer, but I finally got my act straight.

I held my breath and knocked thrice on the door.

There was no response.

I cleared my throat a bit louder and knocked again. But it was all dead silent. Why couldn’t I hear any sound from the inside?

I kept my ear to the door and yelled, “HELLO! IS ANYBODY HOME?”

Did he leave the country or what?

This was of no avail. I turned back to leave, I would give this shirt tomorrow then.

That was when I heard a low growl from upstairs.

I walked a few steps back and saw a pale palm on the glass window.

That was Min Yoongi’s hand.

I didn’t know how I knew that, but it had to be his hand!

GOD DAMMIT!

I rushed to the back door hoping that it was open, but it was not. The only way to get into the house was by a window. But that was too high. I needed something to help me get to that.

“May god help me. I am seriously going to climb the cherry tree,” I said out loud.

I didn’t have any options, but this. I prayed that my uniform would not get ruined.

I removed my shoes and hid my bag behind a bush. It was time to climb the tree.

I could get on to a crook easily. I felt a sting of pride that I actually climbed the mango tree I had in my garden when I was in Sri Lanka and was quite good at tree climbing.

Little by little I proceeded, keeping my foot ahead of me to see if the branch was firm enough to endure my burden of 45kgs.

Finally, when I reached the end of the branch, there was another gap. I gritted my teeth and swayed into the window and I was so happy that I could feel the window seat to my feet and slid in. I fell on the wooden floor with a loud thud.

“OUCH!” I screamed in pain. But it was not that pain that needed my attention, but Min Yoongi. I had to find him.

“MIN YOONGI, WHERE ARE YOU?” I yelled out loud.

I opened all the doors that were on my way to the front section of the house. As I proceeded, I heard a soft thud on the wooden floor which had to be from that one room and I burst inside.

I was held speechless by what I saw.

There was blood everywhere.

In that pool of blood, lay a shrivelled body of which the skin was impaled.

Min Yoongi.