Chapter Thirty Seven

I gave Kookie the list of names that he asked me to make and went back to my class. On my way to the class, I was greeted by a lurking Min Yoongi.

“Who was that who called you?”

“Called me? Where?”

“At the Principal’s?”

“Don’t be silly Yoongi. There was a lot who called.”

“I am asking about the one who asked if you were in the society.”

“Kang something ... Kang Donghan. I cannot recall well.”

Yoongi’s eyes were becoming more focused on me.

“Was it Kang Donghan? Are you sure?”

“Yeah. Kang Donghan. Why, do you know him?”

“You could say that, but all I know is that he is bad news.”

Okay, there was a rotten connection here.

“Were you were stalking me?”

“Nope, I happened to go to the washroom and overheard.”

That was seriously strange.

“Let’s head in for the next period. It is already late.” I pulled Yoongi from his wrist.

“Ohwooh Kristene Andrews is using force on me and it hurts.”

He gave an untimely moan.

“Seriously are you that much of a pervert?”

“It is not me. Just my hormones you know... The War of Hormones?”

“Why didn’t you go to learn biology?”

I dragged him with me down the hallway to the class.

Mandy was next to Jin and she was being so self conscious that she couldn’t even look at Jin when he was talking to her.

This was a major change.

Could that mean ...?

No. No assumptions without facts. I reminded myself.

They were coming for the camp as well, so gathering info would be easy. It was not that I was paparazzi, yet I was so curious that I wanted to know what had brought about this colossal change in Mandy.

Self conscious...  like seriously?

The classes rolled on as usual and nothing out of the extraordinary happened. The kids talked with Miss Diane and postponed the drama practices because most of the crew was going to attend the night camp.

After school ended, I headed to home to put on a clean pair of jeans and a school t-shirt as we had been asked to do.

I could watch myself well enough but Yoongi followed anyway. It was weird for me to see that he was becoming overprotective for some reason, yet when I asked why he had to chauffeur me around he said that it was his hobby to watch me doing silly things.

Seriously, why did I even think Min Yoongi was a potential boyfriend?

I changed and headed back to school with Yoongi who was still in his school uniform.

“Ya, you Neanderthal, go and have a shower. You stink like fish!”

“At times I wonder what type of a wife you’d make, Kristene.” He smiled showing off his gums.

“That will depend on the husband I might have. It is not to be decided yet.”

Yoongi being just 17cm taller than me, bent down and kept his face closer to my neck.

“Min Yoongi, what are you doing?”

“Enjoying the smell of my girl. I love the lilacs. It reminds me of mom and that my parents loved me once too. I have told you this before.”

“But you just cannot sniff me just as you wish.”

“Are you laying down conditions?”

“I am. First of all tell me why you are so obsessed with lilacs. Even for the makeshift date of yours, you brought sprigs of lilacs where as I liked them for the purple colour and the specialty it had for me – it gives me a sort of self confidence.”

“Lilacs – White ones symbolise purity and innocence, violet for spirituality, blue for happiness and tranquillity, magenta for love and passion. The ones you love so much - the purple ones are the symbol of first love.”

“I never knew that you were into flowers.”

“I was not into flowers, but since both mom and you use those, I thought of digging up. But the sad thing is, lilacs only bloom for three weeks at the beginning of spring, usually. But I guess, exceptions are there.”

“Omo, Nerd Min Yoongi.”

“Your nerd Min Yoongi whom you gave lilacs- your first love. Plus the small blooming period makes them unique and so precious.”

“Aiish, shut up.”

“Tell me Kristene.”

He wouldn’t stop nagging.

“Tell you what Yoongi? I didn’t know the flowers had that much of meaning. I just gave those.”

“May be in your instincts you know that you are fallen for me.”

I pushed him off the kerbstone he was standing on.

“Not now Oppa. I won’t make a decision until I ask mom.”

The sun was fading his light along the horizon and the two walked downtown bathed in the afterglow. It would be a lie if someone said that Yoongi did not think Kristene was so beautiful in the evening twilight.