WTF: Multiverse

Another rule of Dynamic Timeline time travel we can apply to the plot of Cursed Child is that whenever Albus and / or Scorpius return from the past to discover that the present has been altered, they physically overwrite the "Alt" version of themselves.

In this instance, the Albus Severus Potter who was born in Alt-Universe 1 could, let's say, open a history book at any age and read that Cedric Diggory had been disarmed in the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. Everyone's history includes this detail, making them different people. No one but the two boys arriving from the Origin Universe is aware of this fact.

If time travel hadn't already been established in OS-Canon, I'd say that this is not a bad setup for developing an interesting narrative in the world of Harry Potter. Simplistic stories can be less effective, and we have magic in our toolbox, so... go for it. But, the writers went WAY too deep.

One of the biggest WTFs when considering how JKR and Co. revised the laws of time travel is that they casually took it into the Multiverse Timeline. This is a clear influence by Jack Thorne on this script and why I personally despise him with all that is within me.

*slowly blinks*

Before I explain, could I... could I just insta-rant for a second?

Cool. You guys are the best.

PICK

*clap*

A

*clap*

LANE!

*CLAP*

*small sigh*

I feel better. Slightly.

Fixed Timeline (presented in Prisoner of Azkaban): You cannot change history because the past always included you and your attempts to alter it, with the likelihood of creating time loops.

Dynamic Timeline (presented in Cursed Child): You can change history, leading to vastly unexpected results and potential paradoxes.

Multiverse Timeline (ALSO presented in Cursed Child!!!): There are an infinite number of multiple universes running parallel to one another. A new universe is created every nanosecond, formed from the insignificant decisions of every person and creature in the world, for all of time. Within each of these universes is an alternate version of you (unless you've died) with minor to major differences, based on the causality of events you had experienced due to outside forces and the past decisions of you and others.

I know.

*takes your hand bravely*

We'll get through this. We will.

One of my all-time favorite illustrations of this mind-melting concept is from the 1998 film, Sliding Doors starring Gwyneth Paltrow. The movie alternates between two stories about the same young woman who catches the subway in one version of history and misses it in another. The audience gets to track how this one divergence in her timeline has massive effects on her relationship, her social life, her career, her happiness, her potential for finding love elsewhere, and something much greater that I don't want to spoil in case you choose to track down the movie. It's worth a view (especially because she's just adorable and does the best British accent and find me one person in our universe who doesn't like early Gwyneth movies).

Here's how the concept of the Multiverse Timeline was first depicted in Alt-Universe 1 (the first revision, where Hermione was the DADA professor):

HERMIONE: Professor Granger I believe is my name, Potter.

ALBUS: What are you doing here?

HERMIONE: Teaching. For my sins. What are you doing here? Learning, I hope.

ALBUS: But you're... you're... Minister for Magic.

HERMIONE: Been having those dreams again, have you, Potter?

Bwahahahahaaaaa!

As I established above, the previous version of Albus (Alt-Albus) was overwritten by the one who was born in a world where Cedric succeeded in the first task. In this scene, Alt-Hermione thinks she's speaking with Alt-Albus. Which should start doing your head in. Because Alt-Albus was... having dreams that his Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher was the Minister of Magic?!

Not only is there a Multiverse, but the characters from one universe are somehow able to access the memories of their alternate selves... through... through dreams? Is that what you're telling us Jo and Jack and John?? WHY?! GAWD, WHY ARE WE MAKING THIS SO EFFING COMPLICATED??? Please tell me.

The beauty of Harry Potter is that we were allowed to enter into an intricate, sometimes confounding world from the viewpoint of an eleven-year-old. A complex story told in a simple, uncomplicated way. But let's just back a steamroller over that, shall we?

Time travel is already complicated. And going into the Multiverse is like jumping untroubled down a rabbit hole that starts turning into a black hole the further you fall. It leads to some seriously "out there" ideas, including the Mandela Effect... which is... wow. YouTube it when you're bored at work and want your mind blown to tiny bits.

The point of storytelling is to bring people on a journey of your own design. The storyteller should never be arrogant of this fact (You know I'm lookin' at you, Queen. Nothin' but luv, but... Mmm...). Although the storyteller is the master of all details, the true experience takes place in the minds and interpretations of their audience. Readers will always bring their own twist on what you're doing, which means you want to avoid any unnecessary impediment that could hinder their satisfaction. If this happens repeatedly, the experience is ruined and readers stop trusting that you'll give them something they want in the future.

Most of the WTFs I've been covering should be considered as burdens that the Cursed Trio placed on us. Burdens that must be overlooked in order to enjoy their new story.

WHY tell a story to an eager audience if you aren't willing to take the time to be reliable or clear or, Heavens forbid, canonical? This fact has utterly baffled me throughout the process of writing this analysis and while developing an outline for the fan-edit / MOD. Like, why? A final Harry Potter story? Are you kidding? There is SO much promise in that. And this has been disappointing on nearly every level.

Potterheads: I feel confused, but I don't know why exactly.

JKR: This play is canon. Don't be confused.

Me: The books used Fixed Timeline time travel, and the play used both Dynamic and Multiverse. That's the opposite of canon.

JKR (fingers in her ears): Canon. I said so.

Me: . . .

Also Me (turning to fellow Potterheads): We good. I gotchu.

 I gotchu