Chapter 24: Surprising You

~ Amelia's POV ~

I woke up abruptly in my bedroom. Fuck. What the hell just happened? I was panting heavily. I buried my face in my hands, staying sat up on the bed. It was pitch black for a second before the lamp suddenly flickered on beside me.

"Baby? Are you okay?" I heard.

I turned my head and felt Claire in my presence, she was looking concerned. One hand was rubbing my back as her other hand was feeling my head for a temperature. Was I sweating? I felt my eyes and noticed I had tears. Claire searched me for an answer, but I only jumped into her and hugged her tightly, causing us both to fall flat on the bed.

"Thank goodness you're okay." I breathed.

She didn't say anything at first and held me tightly, "Of course I'm okay. Amy, what's wrong? You were screaming and crying."

"I had a dream... well, more of a nightmare now that I realized it. I had a feeling... the dream gave me horrible sights, one minute I was with you and we were happy, shopping, on a ferry boat, laying on the couch... the next minute I was in a hallway, I was looking for you, and I saw you at the end. Then I saw someone holding a gun and it was pointing at you... we were so far apart. I was running towards you, hoping I could save you, but... no matter how far I ran, how long I've been running, I couldn't reach you and it was too late... I thought I lost you forever." I cried. "My heart shattered like fragile glass, broken into millions of pieces."

"Oh baby, I'm right here, right now. And it will always be that way. I'm here for you." She said and pulled me into her and kissed my forehead.

"...Sorry, Claire, I didn't mean to wake you."

"No, don't be sorry, you had a nightmare, I was glad to be here and catch it." She said and cupped my face, looking up directly in my eyes. She glanced over at the clock, it was only 3:15am. She handed me a bottle of water to drink, "Now, let's try sleeping for a few more hours." She said.

I nodded and she turned off the lamp. She held her arms out so I could feel her physical self, and hold her. Hoping I didn't have that dream again. She kissed my forehead again. "I love you Claire. I don't want to lose you..."

"Hey, you're not going to lose me. Okay? I'm here for you baby, you're safe." She said. "Nothing is going to happen."

"How do you know?"

"...I don't." She said. "But whatever is thrown at us, I'll make sure that I will come back to you."

I snuggled into her deeper, feeling myself finally being able to have the ability to relax in the comfort of her arms and loving hold. Then falling back to sleep, hoping the best for us.

<><><><><>

After last night's commotion, I have slept in till about 10:00am. I rolled over expecting a smile upon my girlfriend's face, but found the bed completely empty and neatly made. Like she wasn't even here. Sitting up and rubbing my eyes, burying my face in the palms of my hands and running them through the mess of my hair and exhaled deeply. Leaning against the headboard, adjusting my eyes to the brightness shining into this room. The door slowly opened and Claire walked in with a cup of coffee.

"Morning, how did you sleep?" She asked as she sat down next to me on the bed and pecked my lips.

"Decent, I mean I did sleep all the way till just now, which is good."

She nodded and handed me her mug of coffee so I could take a sip. "Thank you." I handed the mug back to her, "Did you sleep good after the commotion?"

"Kind of, I was getting worried about you waking up again."

"I'm sorry."

"No, don't be. It's okay, really." She said and placed the coffee mug on the nightstand. She then took my hands in hers, "You don't have to be sorry about anything, Amelia-"