Chapter 37

|Nikita|

"Wohooo! It's a six from your boyfriend!" Bhai screamed at the top of his lungs as he watched Virat play in the first match of his upcoming series.

I rushed in from the kitchen to catch a glimpse of Virat. Despite seeing his pictures on my phone every day, it had been a long time since he had been physically present in my life. I stared at the TV screen, captivated by his heartwarming smile. It felt like ages since I had seen him face-to-face, hugged him, or felt his warmth. Drawing closer to the TV screen, I sat down like a child, admiring him.

Virat waved his bat triumphantly as he reached another fifty. I reached out to touch his face on the screen, just to feel his presence virtually. Tears welled up in my eyes as the reality hit me that he wasn't with me anymore.

"Veee! I am pregnant!!!" my inner voice screamed as I cried sitting there. It was hard to accept that now I could only see him like this, and the thought that we might never see each other again hollowed me from within.

"Oyee! What happened! He hit a six! He's not out!" Bhai interrupted, wiping away my tears.

I quickly wiped my tears and changed the topic, saying I was missing Virat, which was true, but I couldn't let them know the real reason.

Mom came in, making breakfast for us. It had been so long since I had eaten her cooking.

"Ahhh! Maa, I missed this so much!" I exclaimed, eating as she sat beside me.

"Maa ke haatho mein jaadu hai!" Bhai chuckled.

I was eating as usual when suddenly I felt nauseous. I ran to the washroom immediately, leaving both of them wondering.

"The doctor warned me that some medications might cause vomiting or weakness," I explained when I returned after a few minutes, finding them both looking concerned.

"Niki beta, what happened? Should we go to the doctor?" Maa asked, starting to worry.

"No, Maa, I'm fine. I wasn't feeling well last night; that's why this happened," I covered up, but I knew she was watching my every move closely.

We settled on the couch, continuing to watch the match as Virat neared his century. My heart raced just as it always did when I cheered for him in the stadium. I fixed my gaze on him, and as the bowler delivered the ball, Virat lofted it into the air. I held my breath as the ball soared high. The crowd fell silent as the fielder caught it, celebrating Virat's dismissal.

"Gosh! He got out on 99!" I covered my mouth, unable to find the words. Virat groaned in frustration, slamming his bat on his leg and cursing the bowler. The umpire intervened before things could escalate further. Virat walked back to the pavilion, muttering under his breath.

"Why is he behaving like this? I know he was on 99, but cursing the bowler?" I realized I was partly to blame for his mood. His frustration with me was spilling over into his matches. Where else could it go?

I turned off the TV; there was no reason for me to watch anymore after seeing Virat's face like that. Thankfully, Bhai understood and didn't tease me about it.

"Niks! By the way, why did you reject that Hollywood project? It was a big opportunity, and you seemed really keen on it," Bhai asked suddenly, leaving me dumbfounded.