17: proximity

Madilyn's POV

The feeling of Jack's larger hand in mine comforted me as we walked into the frat house. There were frat boys everywhere and if emojis were real expressions I would turn into the heart eye emoji. I realized then that I don't have a boyfriend and my life was nineteen hours away right now. I could turn into someone else for a few nights or maybe just for tonight.

But I don't want to be trashy, I know that for sure. I had Jack anyway, tonight was about me and him. So I let myself look up at him only to see him looking in a different direction. I followed his eyes but all I could see was a group of girls that barely had any clothing on their bodies.

"Leigh!" he suddenly called and one of the girls, a blonde one, turned her head to look at him, and suddenly his hand wasn't held in mine anymore and there was nobody standing next to me. My mouth was slightly agape as I looked at Jack walk away from me to go talk to this 'Leigh.'

I turned around to walk away from it but I ran right into someone. My breath hitched and I panicked for a moment before realizing it was Sammy. "Oh, hey." I smiled sadly.

"What's wrong?" he asks me. Sometimes it scares me how well Sam can see right through me. Before I even got the chance to explain to him he saw it over my head. He saw something even worse than what I saw because when I turned to look he quickly grabbed me and pulled me away.

"What?" I ask him as he pushes me through the crowd of college people.

"Nothing, you didn't need to see that." He tells me with a sympathetic look. I really wanted to know what happened before I could look, but at the same time I didn't want to think about it. He kept pulling me through the crowd until he was stopped by an overly excited boy.

"Hey Sam! We were about to play beer pong, do you--"

"No," he cuts him off quickly. The boy gives him an odd look but shrugs it off and leaves, too drunk to care. Sam looks at me. "What am I supposed to do with you?"

"Uh, I don't know." I blush. He just smiles again and brings me into the kitchen.

"Do you drink?"

"Not really, but..."

He shakes his head, "Nevermind. I don't want you to drink tonight."

"Sam, I'm not a child." I remind him, trying to ignore everyone else in the kitchen. It smells weird in here. I don't know why I'm here. I don't know why I'm even in Omaha. I want to go home.

"I know, Madilyn," he takes a drink out of the red cup he was holding. He didn't look like he wanted to be here that much either.

"Sam?" I speak up, walking over so I'm standing beside him.

"Yeah?"

"Who's Leigh?" I question. It's been bothering me ever since I heard her name. I know Sammy knows.

He sighs, setting his cup down on the counter and looking at me with with soft eyes. Unexpectedly, he pulls me into a hug but I wrap my arms around his torso and hug him back. "They've kind of had a thing for a while," he explains and my heart sinks, "It kind if pissed me off when we came to see you and he was acting all close to you like he didn't have a girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" I wonder, my voice quiet.

"Yeah..." He sighs, "I wanted to tell you so bad. I hated sitting there and watching you and him when you had no idea he even had a girlfriend." He shakes his head as he rubs circles into my back soothingly.