Chapter 6

I opened up to an empty page of Joel and I's shared diary; thinking of words to write. For as long as I've had this I have never known what exactly to write even though I had always wanted to. The right words wouldn't come to mind when I needed them to.

"Forget it" I huffed as I shut the diary with much force.

Placing it on the side of my bed I stood up and made my way down to cheer practice. The only thing I had to look forward to.

"And 5,6,7,8 and step left" the head cheerleader's loud voice projected throughout the whole auditorium as our bodies were moving to the choreography.

"Shorty, up front so I can see you" her finger points and curls backward pointing at me so I run up front and continue the routine.

After cheer practice had finished I headed towards the campus café. All I needed inside me was a tonne of caffeine to keep me going for the rest of the day. As I had entered the door I made my way to the line.

"So, are you always working here? Wow I should come by more often" the girl in front of me giggles as she flirts with the male barista.

"Would you like anything ma'am? I have to serve others" he awkwardly asks.

"Excuse me do you mind? You're holding up the line" I tap the girl in front of me as she turns around.

That blonde silky hair sure did seem familiar and I was right. It was Jessica.

"Ugh what do you want Maya?" she scoffs at me.

"I just want my damn coffee so for the love of god, just make your order and move to the side. There's other waiting" I finish off.

"I don't know how these people got here but whatever" she flips her hair obnoxiously and walks away.

"Hi what can I get you today?" the barista asks with a smile ready to write down my order.

"Um I think I'll just have a regular sized mocha with extra sugar" I say while looking up at the option board.

"Sure, can I get your name?"

"Maya"

He suddenly seemed confused and not sure of his next move.

"Excuse me a second" he nervously smiles and walks away to talk to what seemed like his manager.

What does a girl have to do to get her damn coffee? They whisper things among themselves and the boy points at me while still speaking to his manager. That had just left me plain confused and needing an explanation for this situation. A little while later the manager comes to the register.

"Maya, right? Ah yes, I have your order here. A nice gentleman came in earlier and gave us your order and even paid"

The manager hands me a brown paper bag with warm food inside and a cup of take away coffee.

"Oh thank you but uh... did the man happen to leave a name by any chance?" I asked.

"No he just made your order, paid and left sorry" he explains.

Without any further questions, I thank him and leave the café even more confused than ever. Drowning myself in fresh air, I sit down on the campus garden's fresh grass and begin taking sips of my coffee.

"Hey Maya" I hear a voice behind me.

"Bailey hey, what's up"

"What have you got there" she gestures to my bag.

"Oh I don't even know yet, you can have a look if you want. Feel free to take some"

She opens the bag, has a look inside and pulls out some warm bread.