Chapter 53

"Hi mom" Joel enters as he hugs gives his mother one long hug.

"So nice to see you again" she says kissing his cheeks multiple times.

"Mom stop, there's people around" he groans in embarrassment.

I couldn't help but giggle at how sweet and affectionate Patricia was being towards her son. As soon as she had heard my voice, she turned her attention to me and began greeting me in the same way.

"I've been waiting all day to see my beautiful daughter in law" she kisses my cheek and hugs me.

People had gone back to conversing with each other while Joel's brothers were helping me take my luggage upstairs to the rooms.

"You must be Maya" two girls had approached me.

"Yup that's me" I smiled.

"We're cousins of Joel. Come with us, we have to get you dressed" they grabbed my arm and took me upstairs to Joel's mothers room.

As soon as I had entered through the door, I see a beautiful burgundy coloured long dress laid out on the bed. They had instructed me to change into the dress while they waited outside. However, as I was changing, I had heard more people walking up the stairs. There was one voice in particular I was familiar with.

"Where's Maya?" I hear out the door.

It was Joel.

"She's in here" one of the cousin replies.

I was slipping on the dress as I see the doorknob twist.

"Joelito what exactly do you think you're doing?" the girl responds.

"Ok first of all, don't call me that. Secondly, I'm here to make sure you haven't scared off my poor fiancé yet" Joel replies.

Finally zipping up my dress, I fix up my hair and make my way closer to the door just so I could listen in on the conversation a little more.

"Well too bad. You can't see her yet. We have to get her dressed and so do you. You can see her later, it's supposed to be a surprise" the girl had said.

After a couple of minutes of bickering between the three of them, I had finally felt some silence outside the door.

"I'm done" I say opening up.

"Wow" their jaws had dropped.

"Well?" I asked, turning around for a spin.

"That dress was made for you Maya" one of the girl replied.

Thanking her, they made themselves welcome inside the room and splattered make up all over the bed which they retrieved from a makeup bag.

"I can do your makeup and she can do your hair in the meantime, is that ok?" one of the girl asks as I looked at the two of them.

"Sure" I smiled.

As I was getting ready, the room was beginning to fill up with more girls as they entered through the door.

"Can you guys take it downstairs? The poor girl is trying to get ready" one of the girls scolds the younger girls that had been coming in.

"Sorry about that; it's just that everyone has been really excited to meet Joel's new fiancé. I'm Liz by the way and this is Abby" Liz says, pointing to Abby who was working on my hair.

"I understand, although I'm not quiet used to being around a lot of people" I nervously chuckle.

"If Joel had told you anything, it's that if you marry a Mexican boy, you marry the whole family" Liz jokes.