Chapter 44

A/N: So instead of revising for finals, I spent all of last night editing and fixing up my previous story 'Be Mine' since I read back at it and it looked like an 8 yr old wrote it ew

Ingrid's POV

It was sweet of Joel for wanting to come along with us to the hospital but he couldn't just ditch his family like that.

"Don't worry, go rest up and I promise you'll be the first to know the update on Maya" I tell him as I made my way to Maya's family's car.

"Alright, I'm counting on you" Joel replies.

Jumping into the car, Maya's parents and I made our way to the hospital. As soon as we had reached inside, we asked the reception about Maya.

"Ah yes, she's just in here" one of the nurse leads us into a secluded private room.

There she was, lying down and resting away. Attached to her arm was a tube as she was getting a blood transfusion. The red thick fluid was visible through the clear tub that travelled from a red bag full of blood, all the way through to her arm.

"I'll inform the doctor about your visit and he will be with you in a moment. He'll have all the information on Maya's health" the nurse informs before she walks out again.

Her parents took a seat on two empty chairs as I sat on the edge of Maya's bed.

"I'm glad she's ok at least. It could have been worse" Mrs Francis speaks up.

In a matter of minutes, a doctor pops in from behind the curtains, greeting her parents.

"So, what happened with Maya is that she's been in a coma for two weeks and she just gained consciousness again this morning. The nurses then set up a blood infusion bag as you can see" he looks at the thick bag of blood. "We were lucky enough to find her blood type on time or else her condition would have been worse. She's doing fine at the moment but unfortunately, her memory is a bit hazy so she may not remember much" he explains.

"Does that mean she's lost all memory?" her dad asks.

"I wouldn't say all her memory. The reason for this is that she didn't get enough blood supply to her brain fast enough and a side effect of that is that it leaves the person somewhat confused. This tube is slowly making it's way around her body so we will see what happens once the bag of blood is finished" the doctor finishes off.

After asking several questions, we were once again left alone with Maya, who was still asleep.

"Aw, poor baby" I caress her face. "Am I allowed to lay down with her?" I ask her mum.

"Sure, I don't see why not. Just make sure you don't move the tube or anything. Better if you come around the other side" she replies.

Making my way to the opposite side of where the tube was attached to her arm, I slowly make myself comfortable as I lay down beside her. Placing my arm around her waist, trying not to wake her up.

"Hopefully, her confusion doesn't lead to her forgetting who I am" I say.

"You guys have been best friends for so many years. I doubt her memory is that bad" her dad replies.

Shifting myself closer to Maya, I feel her head move slightly. Just then, her eyes flutter open slowly as she looks around.

"Mom? Dad?" she manages to say.

"Yes sweetheart, we're right here" her mum leans forward and squeezes her leg.

"I'm here too" I sit up and look at Maya who surprisingly smiles when she sees me.