Chapter 17

"What are you doing here?" I ask as my door was open.

"I came to talk to you"

The poor guy was shivering with coldness and looked like he didn't get any sleep at all today.

"Joel, I told you, I cant-"

"Maya please, at least hear me out" he begs.

He was polite enough not to invite himself inside my house even though he was freezing cold and he came to see me all the way in the heavy rain at 2am.

"Ok fine. Follow me"

We both head upstairs into my room. Joel enters my room but stays standing as he didn't want to make my bed wet by sitting on it. He is such a sweetheart.

"Here, you can have my spare shirt" I handed him a plain black t-shirt as he just started changing right in front of me; taking his soaked wet shirt off and putting mine on.

I could honestly stare at this view all night.

"Thanks" he says.

"Don't mention it"

We both take a seat on my bed next to each other and he begins talking.

"Maya, baby please believe me when I say I don't want to be with Amber at all" he pleads.

"I didn't say it was your fault. Look Joel, there's really nothing else left to say or do. Can't you see this is fate telling us we weren't meant to be. It's just not the right time"

"That's nonsense Maya. I don't believe in fate. What about the promises we made to always stick by each other through everything"

"I'm sorry Joel" I looked towards the ground as I whispered the words in shame.

If only Joel knew there's so much more to why I'm doing this.

"Ok Maya. If you want to give up on us this easily, then by all means. You know, I was actually hoping by coming here I would be able to look into your eyes and tell you how much I love you and not to give up yet. You made up your mind and there's nothing I can do. Take care Maya" with that, he gets up and leaves my room.

As soon as I heard the door being shut, the tears that I've been holding in, came streaming back down. No words can express that amount of hatred I have towards Amber right now. She has completely ruin my life with Joel and there's no way to fix it. This is what happens when you put your whole relationship out to the world; people will always find a way to make it end and Amber just showed me the lengths she would go to just so Joel and I aren't together and she can have him all to himself.

9:13am

Saturday morning. My mother and I were heading out to go buy necessary things for the house such as groceries and what not. Opening my closet, I take a look around for an outfit to wear.

"Nothing wrong with a girl wanting to get a little dolled up" I say to myself picking out a skirt, white top and a cardigan to cover up.

After I was ready, I headed downstairs to where my mum was already waiting. As soon as we had reached the shopping mall, we headed inside a grocery store. My mum and I headed into different directions as I had my own things to buy. I was happily grabbing all the junk food I could get my hands on. I'm a single person who just got out of a relationship which means most of my days would be spent in bed watching Netflix all by myself while pigging out on junk food and crying at romantic movies.

"There you are" I smile as I looked up to see ice cream tubs of 'Ben and Jerry's'. Who needs boys when you have Ben and Jerry's right?

I got on my tiptoes and stretched my arm out to reach the top shelf. It was no use as I groaned giving up after several tries.

"Need help there?"

"Aah!" my heart almost jumps out of my soul at that sudden voice.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you" the boy says.

I stare at him for a while trying to remember where exactly I've seen him before.

"Hey, aren't you Joel's brother?" I ask as I was still unsure.

Emmanuel. That's his name.

"Yep, and you're Maya right? I've seen you at my house a few times" he smiles grabbing the tub of ice cream and handing it to me.

"Rough day?" he asks looking into my basket that was filled with complete junk food.

"Is it that obvious?" I nervously laugh.

I really wanted to ask how Joel was doing but I also didn't want Emmanuel to think I was only talking to him because of his brother.

"Anyways, thanks for that" I smiled referring to the ice cream.

"No problem, see you around?" he asks.

After saying our goodbyes, I headed back to find my mother. She was also almost done with her shopping and I knew she wouldn't have a good reaction if she saw what my basket was filled of.

However, surprisingly she didn't say anything. I guess she knew I've had a rough couple of days and wanted to take it easy on me. After reaching back home, I placed all my food in the pantry and changed into my comfortable casual clothes again.

"Will you be joining me tonight Maya?" my dad asked.

I knew he was referring to the boy's shows tonight and I did make a commitment to my dad that I would help him out with anything that he needed. Thinking about it; I don't know how I'm going to face Joel tonight without turning into an emotional mess again.

"Can I just have today off? I don't think I'm ready to go back dad, sorry. Tomorrow maybe?" I did feel guilty that I was ditching helping my dad just because of some stupid relationship issues with Joel.

"Hey don't worry about it. Tomorrow's fine then" he smiles.

A few hours had passed and I was currently doing house chores until I heard my doorbell ring.

"I'll get it!" I yell, dropping my things and running to the door.

Opening it up, I see a face that I wasn't expecting.

"Ryan? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to ask you something" he innocently states.

"Yeah of course, what's up?" my phone was in my right hand as my left hand was holding the door.

"Look, I've been thinking; I know you don't think I'm exactly...um...how do I say it?" he looks down thinking of words. "What I'm trying to say is, I'm trying to be a better man for you Maya. I'm trying, I promise. I want to prove that to you so you don't think so negatively of me anymore. What I wanted to ask was, do you think you'd like to go out on a date tonight?"

"Oh" was all that left my mouth. After that, it was complete silence.

"Please say something" he interrupts my thoughts.

"I'm sorry Ryan I can't. I'm just not ready" I say with guilt in my voice.

"Oh...well it's ok. Thank you anyway"

I felt extremely bad. He came all the way to my house to ask me out on a date face to face and I just turn him down like that. He began walking away and it was then that I felt my phone vibrate. It was an Instagram notification from a fan. They had tagged me in a post and when I jumped on to Instagram to see exactly what it was, my blood began to boil up.

'They make such a cute couple omfg'

The caption was along with a photo of Amber and Joel today being all cuddled up and romantic. Why am I being tagged in these things?

"Actually Ryan!" I yell.

He had just reached his car however, he still heard me. He turned around to face me with his car door still open.

"I'll see you tonight" I smiled.