Chapter 49

"Ok, don't freak out. I'm sure it was misplaced" Ingrid tries to calm me down.

"How can it be misplaced when I never even removed it from my bedside drawer overnight!?" my heart was continuing to race.

How irresponsible can I be?

Joel had proposed to me with one of the most expensive rings sold in France, made of real diamond and I couldn't even go one night without doing something to it.

"Check your pockets and your suitcase and I'll check the bathroom and around the bed" Ingrid instructs.

Running over to my suitcase, I take out every single item of clothing and thoroughly shake them to see if my ring would fall out. Unfortunately, even after double checking, there was no sign of my precious engagement ring.

"It's not here either" Ingrid was scanning the floor around the bed and the bedside drawer.

"Oh god, I am seconds away from passing out" I fan myself with my hands as I was on the verge of tears, trying to hold them back.

Ingrid then stands up, looking at me dead in the eyes; as if she was thinking about something serious.

"I'll be back" she quickly leaves the room and runs out.

"Wait!" I follow her out, shutting the door behind me.

As soon as I had reached her, she was violently banging on the door of Amber's room with her fists.

"Must you pound my door like a wild animal?" Amber opens up.

"Where is it?" Ingrid sternly asks.

"Where's what?"

"Maya's ring. I know you have it"

"What makes you think I would steal Maya's pathetic ring?" she cocks up and eyebrow.

"Because your eyes were basically glued to her finger yesterday. Hand it over or I'll get Renato to kick you off tour" Ingrid threatens.

"I don't have her stupid ring and you don't have any proof either" she rolls her eyes before shutting the door on our faces.

"What are we going to do now?" I ask nervously biting my nails.

"Get some hard evidence, that's what" she replies, walking back to our room.

"Ingrid, our flight literally leaves in a few hours. We don't have time to play Sherlock Holmes. Can't we just continue looking?"

"Maya, I don't like how she treats us like dirt and tries to make us look like fools. I'm going to do something about it while you can continue searching" she replies.

Just then, my phone vibrates; it was my dad.

"Hello?" I say into the phone.

"I asked you to be dressed and down here over an hour ago" he sounded mad.

"Yeah, we're on our way. Sorry"

Hanging up, I take a deep breath and walk back into our room. Grabbing my jumper and phone, Ingrid and I make our way downstairs to the breakfast room. As soon as we entered, I see Joel walking towards me with a smile.

"Ok first things first; Joel does not find out about this" I whisper to Ingrid.

"Hey there" he approaches me and gives me a quick peck on the lips. "What took you so long?"

"Ingrid is just a slow walker. I was ready over an hour ago" I replied.

He chuckles then looks down at my hands, noticing the missing ring as his smile disappears in a matter of seconds.