Chapter 11

"I wish it didn't have to be like this. I'm so sorry" Joel put his arms around me and pulled me closer to him.

I just stared at Joel lost in thought; not knowing what else to say to him. The words in my mind were stuck in a lump in my throat.

"Please say something, you're worrying me" he interrupts.

"I don't know what to say"

I pulled away from his grip and stepped back, fixing myself up and building up the courage to have an actual mature conversation with him about this.

"Are you mad at me?" he asks low enough just for me to hear.

"Um" I looked down at my feet then back up meeting his eyes. "No actually, it's fine. Management wants you to take Amber as a date for exposure then you should take her"

"Hey come here" he pulls me back for another embrace.

This time it felt real. I felt safe and happy in his arms and no matter what issues were going on in my life, they all seemed to disappear when he holds me.

9:25 am

Woken up by the constant ringing of my phone that was beside my pillow, I open my eyes and check the phone screen to see Ingrid's caller ID.

"Are you insane woman? It's 9 on a weekend morning" I moan into the phone.

"Did you forget our planned shopping trip today? Come on girl we have to be there early if we want to get the best outfits on sale" she screams into the phone.

"You know Ingrid, sometimes I consider blocking your number so I can get some peaceful sleep"

"Yes, well too bad. My mum and I are coming to pick you up so she can drop us off to the mall. Get ready or I'll personally drag you out myself" and with our goodbyes, she hangs up.

Deep down inside, I was quite excited for this shopping trip. I really needed some girl on girl time alone with Ingrid. Plus, it's not like I'm the only girl in Joel's life anymore. Taking a quick shower, I pull out an outfit; a plain black top with a plain white skirt and an adidas jacket. The jacket was a present from Joel.

As soon as I had gotten ready, I headed downstairs waiting for Ingrid to arrive

As soon as I had gotten ready, I headed downstairs waiting for Ingrid to arrive. It wasn't long until I hear her car pull up in my driveway.

"She's here mom! I'm going to go now" I let my mum know as I yelled it through the house.

Greeting Ingrid and her mother, we made our way to the mall.

"Give me a call when you girls are finished. Maya darling do you need any spare money? Don't hesitate to let me know" her mother sweetly asked.

"That's ok, I have enough money but thank you" I smiled and waved her off.

By now, it had almost been an hour since Ingrid and I had been walking around the building with a few bags in our hands.