Chapter 7 - Getting Separated

After landing the ship into one of the hangers, Poe and I walked down the two flights of stairs to the council room. Our mission was successful, although we left out the part of me being chased by one of the most feared beings in the galaxy.

I handed General Organa the stick that contained the First Order's communication information. She smiled at me with such pride and relief for making it home from another mission. She took my shoulder and gave it a quick squeeze before turning back to the council to read and transcribe the information. Thankfully she looked away because I instantly went pale from pain. She had squeezed the same shoulder that was hit by the blaster and that Poe had wrapped up five minutes prior to the meeting.

I've learned many things throughout my stay on the Resistance base; the most important was that I was finally loved again. I could feel the pain and burning in my chest that was my self hatred begin to cool with each encouraging embrace from the General or the look of delight when I went on missions with Poe. These simple yet happy moments in my new life are what I cherish the most. Although my mother could never be replaced, the General has become close enough that I trusted her with my deepest thoughts and secrets.

Poe and the rest of the base doesn't know about my past or that I was force sensitive. General Organa and I chose that this was for the best. We didn't know if there were any spies located on the base or when I was on missions. I learned that there were still groups and different parties that would kill me once they knew that I was an Arcinia. Or, they might try to force me towards the dark side.

The invisible band (which is the best way to describe this damn thing) that my mother supposedly placed when I was a newborn was always a constant and I began to get headaches like my mother. General Organa noticed my struggle and started to train me to relieve the intense pressure by stretching this invisible band. She didn't want me to stretch it too far that it would collapse like it did with Ghent and she didn't want me to accidentally connect with someone that was also force sensitive in case they tried to locate the base.

I could feel the fear radiating off her when she was explaining this to me. So, we developed a tactic where I would only stretch this invisible band to allow the force to connect with me for a couple of seconds per day. This helped tremendously some days while others it just wasn't enough.

This same band that was preventing me to connect with the force saved my life one day and thankfully nobody was around to witness it. I was taking a break from my lessons when I spotted the most perfect tree to climb. My father stopped my education after the incident, so for years I went without my once regular lessons. General Organa would have none of that, so she had me work on my mathematics as well as reading and writing in Aurebesh. She also had me practice my combat skills and I learned how to fire a blaster and a cannon from a ship.

Anyways, I was climbing this massive tree until I was able to see far beyond the base. I could see for miles. Eager to see more, I climbed higher to the branches that were not as sturdy. As I was climbing, one of the branches broke, causing me to dangle by one hand. I was too far away to call for help and my hand was holding precariously on the tree limb. My hand started to sweat, causing my fingers to slip and release the branch. I remember falling as the ground was rapidly getting closer. Although, instead of feeling the crunch of death upon my landing, I felt weightlessness. Opening my eyes, I found that I was hovering inches above the ground. Then, the band snapped back around my mind, causing me to land on my stomach and face.

"Nymeria"

I didn't realize I had zoned out from the council meeting. "Yes?"

Trying not the crack a smile the General repeated her question, "Do you have anything further to add about the mission?"