Ch 20: Exams

The written exams were easy. Valkyr didn't even struggle with those. Between the studying she did with Katsuki and the studying she did with Hizashi, the written exams were cake. Right now Valkyr was waiting in an observation room watching the others take their practical exams. She remembered the looks on everyone's faces when it was announced she would be taking a solo exam. She still hadn't been told which teacher she would go up against. Maybe it would be All Might? She hadn't trained with Toshi in quite a while. She watched the screen where Katsuki and Izuku just finished their exam, because of Izuku they passed. She was worried as Izuku carried Katsuki in. "Is he alright?" she ran over to the bed worried. 

"He will be fine deary," Recovery girl told her. "You should be preparing for your exam. It won't be easy." Valkyr frowned and nodded. She walked with Izuku over to the screens. 

"Wow, so these are all based around everyone's weaknesses," Izuku said. 

"Then I wonder why mine would be solo," Valkyr said. "I'm not that great at working with people."

"Yea you are Valkyr," Izuku said. "You work great with people. In the sports festival you were able to work with three people you had never met before just fine. You can adapt yourself to almost anyone in the class. We have all seen it over the months." Valkyr looked down. 

"Then what could they possibly be testing me about?" Valkyr sighed. 

"Honestly?" Izuku said. "I think they want to see if you will take this seriously."

Valkyr looked up at him shocked. "What do you mean?"

"Valkyr, none of us are stupid." Izuku said. "Since things came out at the USJ attack about who you are. We figured you were really strong. Though most the time you do all the strategizing and leave it to whom ever your partnered with." Valkyr sighed and knew he was right. She looked at the screens sadly. "You don't seem surprised by this?"

"I'm not." Valkyr said simply. "I decided a while ago that I would stop holding back, but it's harder than it seems. I don't want to go all out and make people afraid of me. I've come to love having friends. I love the life I have now. I don't want to ruin it, but at the same time I know I can't keep holding back. I have to train to get stronger if I want to protect everyone. If I want to become a hero."

"Hey, you aren't going to scare anyone away," Izuku told her. "Just because you have a lot of power doesn't mean it changes who you are. You will always be Valkyr." Valkyr smiled softly. 

"Thank you Izu," Valkyr said and gave him a hug. 

"Anytime Valkyr," Izuku smiled. 

Valkyr walked up to the training grounds she was assigned. It was the cityscape that Shouta had lost to Todoroki and Momo. She still didn't know who she was facing. She smiled as she saw Shouta and Hizashi standing there. "Hey guys," Valkyr smiled. "Come to wish me luck?"

"Not exactly Princess," Hizashi said. 

"We were the ones chosen to be your opponents," Shouta said and Valkyr frowned. Of Course, Valkyr thought.  The two I would least want to face off against. The two I would least want to go full out on. 

"You don't seem all that surprised Princess," Hizashi said. 

"I'm not," Valkyr said. "Once I figured out what this exam was really about. I knew they would pick the two I would least want to see me serious in a fight."

"So you've already realized your weakness," Shouta asked. 

"I've always known it," Valkyr said. "I don't want anyone to see my real ability because I'm afraid of being seen as a monster."