20

It's been a couple days since we've been in Vegas. Maria has limited her embarrassing questions to one a day.

Everyone's getting everything together for Maria's birthday party tonight.

Caleb and I were driving to a bakery to pick up the cake and some other desserts. Caleb kept pointing things out to me.

We drove back up to the house and there was a good amount of cars outside. Caleb told me they were mostly family. So I'll probably here more embarrassing stories about him and get asked more questions.

We go inside and drop all the pastry boxes in the kitchen. Caleb decided to sneak a cannoli.

"I wouldn't let your mom catch you doing that."

Theo walked into the kitchen and took one for himself.

"You saw nothing."

"We know nothing." We laugh.

Caleb and I go upstairs to get dressed. We walk inside and I see a navy blue dress sitting on the bed.

"Caleb is this from you."

"No it's not. That's actually my mother's dress."

"Are you serious? I can't wear this."

"Please dear it'll mean so much to me." I hear Maria from the doorway.

"Caleb may I have a word alone with Jade."

"Of course mom. I'll go keep dad outta the cannolis."

"Theo if any of those cannolis are missing you're sleeping on the couch!" Caleb's laughs and shuts the door.

"Maria I appreciate the gesture but I can't."

"You're too sweet for your own good. How can somebody crush that beautiful soul of yours. In just these three days of you being her with Caleb I can see why he loves you so much."

"Thank you."

"This dress was my mother's. She wore it on the boat coming from Italy. She  gave it to me after marrying Theo."

"Why not Thomas?"

"Because my mother knew I didn't love Thomas. She didn't want to give me a gift from a sham marriage. She was totally against me marrying Thomas but his family came from wealth and money. There was nothing that she could do about the situation.

I don't have a daughter of my own and like I've been saying I don't except Derek to find someone to settle down with. That's why I want you to have this."

"I'll be honored to wear your dress Maria. Thank you so much."

She brings me in for a tight hug.

I go into the bathroom and change in to the dress. It came right above my knee and actually fit perfectly. I came out of the bathroom to show Maria. She had a tear in her eye.

"You look absolutely beautiful."

I sat on the bed and Maria did my hair for me. I haven't had anybody do my hair for me since before my mom died. She did my hair in french braid.

"You've got such long straight hair dear! I hate mine it curls sometimes. Living here the humidly makes it so big."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"Might be why both boys keep there hair so neat and short."

"Oh I'd love to see Caleb with a big poof ball on his head."

"Oh when he was little around 8 he refused to get a hair cut for over two years! He looked like a cocker spaniel. I've got picture albums downstairs."

"Oh I've got to see them before we leave."

"I don't think so! I thought I asked for those pictures to be burned!" Caleb walks back into the bedroom.

"Like I listen to you." Maria and I laugh.

"I'll see you two downstairs."

"Thank you Maria."

"You're welcome dear."

I stand up and show Caleb the dress.

"That looks gorgeous on you baby."

"Thank you. Are you ready?"

"Yea let's go downstairs."

We go downstairs and there's people everywhere. Caleb keeps his arm around my waist. Caleb keeps introducing me to other family members. Aunt's, Uncle's cousins. Bunch of people who's names I won't even remember.

"Baby I'm gonna go in the kitchen to get something to drink. You want anything?"

"Um I'll take a beer."

"K be right back."

I go into the kitchen and grab mine and Caleb's drinks. I walk back out and see a woman talking to Caleb. She's at least 5'10, blonde, big rack, a shit ton of makeup and a dress at least 3 times too small for her. And definitely not a relative.

I walk back up to Caleb and hand his drink. Then she decided to open her mouth.

"Here you go I'll take a red wine."

"Um excuse me?"

"I said I'll take a red wine. Do you not understand English?"

I look up at Caleb but before he can even say anything she opens her mouth again.

"Ok quit trying to flirt with my guy. I know he's hot but quit staring."

"Ok are you serious right now? Like you're actually serious."

"Excuse me who the hell do you think you are?"

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" I hear Maria behind her.

"Happy birthday Maria!"

"Oh shut the fuck up! Why are you in my fucking house!?"

"It's your birthday mom."

"Do not call me that! You whore!"

"Caleb are you gonna let her talk to me like that? All I did was correct a waitress."

"She's not a waitress she's his girlfriend."

The blonde woman looks stunned by that statement.

"Giselle get out of my house!"

"No I'm not going anywhere. Not until I talk to Caleb."

"Why the hell would he want to talk to you? And about what?"

"Caleb you can't have a girlfriend! We're suppose to be together!"

"Oh hell no! You do not come into my house ruining my birthday! You're nothing but one of those street walking gold digging whores! You and Caleb went out once then you fucked Derek!"

"In my defense I didn't know she went out with Caleb."

"Shut up Derek!"

"I'm not leaving until I talk to Caleb!"

Caleb finally speaks up and he sounds pissed!

"Giselle! Get the fuck out of my mother's house and never come back! I've told you all this before several times! Get out of my damn life!"

I've got nothing. I wanna yell and scream at the top of my lungs. Mostly at this bitch and Caleb! He didn't even defend me! His mother did!

Derek grabs her by the arm and throws her out of the house. I turn to Maria.

"Maria I'm very sorry but I've got a headache and I need to go lay down."

"I'm sorry Jade."

"It's not your fault."

"Baby can we talk?"

"No."