Chapter 52

The car came to a halt as we arrived back home. I glanced out of the window and sighed. The paparazzi hadn't moved from our doorstep, suddenly the short distance from the car to the house felt like miles as I realised I had to run the gauntlet once again. Danny's hand squeezed my knee where it had been resting, his way of asking was I alright when he knew exactly how I was feeling. Press attention around us is something I've always hated, no matter how much I put a brave face on for the kids I just hate how intrusive it feels.

I took Danny's hand and smiled before raising it to my mouth and kissing his knuckles, I know that he hates the attention at home as well but also that he has all the feelings I have, coupled with the guilt that he is the one who is famous, so he is the one bringing it to our door.

Mark and Glen got out the car first and the burst of flashlights started immediately. After a second Danny opened his door to get out and my door was opened by Mark who tried to shield me from the cameras as I exited the car. I didn't look up at all, the questions being thrown at us just became a blur of noise as I made my way to the door, thankfully Rina has left it unlocked so I didn't need to get my keys. We all entered the house without a word. I kicked my heels off at the door before following the lads to the living room.

"Surprise" the kids yelled as the door opened and I looked around to see a homemade banner which said 'Welcome Home Dad' along with balloons everywhere. I couldn't help but smile as Danny bent down and the kids all ran into a group hug with him.

"I see they kept you busy" I said to Sophie as I looked around the room.

"It kept their mind off the paps, I hope you don't mind?" she replied tentatively.

"Not at all" I replied smiling at the scene in front of me.

We went on to have one of the nights that had become a distant memory for me, the six of us having a few drinks whilst playing games with the kids. Ordering in food because nobody could be bothered to cook and generally just having a laugh.

By the time Adam and Jessica were going to bed I was starting to feel a bit tipsy. My head rested on Danny's shoulder as we all chatted and a wave of contentment swept over me as I realised I had it all again.

Before I knew it, we had talked right through to the early hours and my tipsy had started to flow into drunk. As Danny went to see the others out I fell back on the sofa, the support of Danny's shoulder being replaced by the cushions. I looked around the room, which was slightly blurry by now and decided to start clearing up tonight.

I collected up the glasses from around the living room and went through to the kitchen to load them into the dishwasher. As I closed the door and started the cycle, Danny's arms snaked around my waist. "Leave them" he whispered.

I turned to face him, my hand ran down his cheek as I took in his features. My fingers paused at his mouth briefly before I leaned in to replace my fingers with my lips. The kiss was gentle and brief, but every good night deserves a goodnight kiss. His fingers interlocked with mine as we stood gazing into each other's eyes before he turned and slowly lead me by the hand towards the stairs.

"Danny, I need to clear this place up" I protested as we reached the foot of the stairs and I tried to release his grip from my hand.

"No, you need to go to bed and sleep this off" he laughed before scooping me up in his arms and carrying me up to our bedroom.

As I climbed into bed, Danny held out his arms and I snuggled into his side. His fingers ran aimlessly through my hair as we both lay with our own thoughts for a while.

"It's so good to have you home" I mumbled.

Danny sighed before kissing the top of my head. "It's good to be home" he replied.

I turned to move out of Danny's arms, knowing that I really needed to sleep, his grip around me loosened immediately and I rolled over to my side of the bed, I felt him also turn onto his side but realised that rather than trying to sleep, he was watching me. I felt special, I felt loved but most of all I felt drunk. "I love you" I whispered before falling into a much needed sleep.