Chapter 63

The view from the top of the tower didn't feel quite as spectacular after Danny's proposal, smiling from ear to ear we walked along the banks of the river. I felt as though I needed to take everything in tonight, this would be a night I'd remember for the rest of my life, a special night. My pace slowed as I tried to remember every sight, every smell. Danny turned to look at me, wondering why I was stopping, our interlocked fingers the only thing keeping us together.

"What's up?" he asked concerned.

"It's so peaceful down here" I told him, not really answering his question.

"Are you sure you're ok?" he asked.

I nodded with a smile, a cold breeze making me shiver. "It's perfect, I never want this night to end."

"You're cold, aren't you?" Danny asked, already removing his jacket and wrapping it around my shoulders.

"A bit" I replied as I pulled his jacket around me.

He stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my body, pulling me into his. His head rested on mine for a while as we gazed out across the river. Suddenly, he kissed the top of my head and grabbed my hand before pulling me along to follow him.

"Where are we going?" I asked him

"One more thing before we head back" he said mysteriously.

He led to me the Pont des Arts before taking a padlock from his pocket. I laughed as he wrote 'True Love D&K' before he paused and looked at me. "Todays date or our Wedding Day?" he asked.

"Our Wedding Day" I replied and was slightly surprised that he wrote the date without hesitation.

He handed the padlock to me and said "Lock it on and then it's forever"

"I think we already agreed to forever" I laughed as I secured the lock on the bridge.

He threw the key into the river before turning to me, "I love you, Mrs O'Donoghue" he said as he leant down and kissed me before I had a chance to say anything.

"Thank you for tonight" I said as we pulled apart "I couldn't have wished for more."

"Well it's the nicest rejection I've ever had" Danny laughed as he flung his arm around my shoulder and we started to walk back to the car.

"I didn't reject you, you idiot" I laughed nudging him in the stomach as we walked.

"What would you call it, I asked you to marry me and you said...."

"....In a heartbeat" I cut him off from winding me up.

"Oh yeah, you did" he said as he thought back on tonight with a smile.

After the short flight back, we were soon pulling up outside our house. I lifted my head from Danny's shoulder as the car came to a halt. I looked up at him, "I love you" I told him before placing a soft kiss on his lips.

We walked into the house and as Danny headed straight upstairs to change out of his suit I went into the lounge to see Glen and Sophie. I walked in and saw Keira tucked up on the sofa beside Glen, fast asleep.

"What's she doing there?" I asked as I walked in.

"She wanted her Daddy" Glen said in a childish voice, clearly trying to imitate Keira.

"Has she been bad?" I asked as I crouched down next to her and stroked the stray hairs from her face.

"Well, when she eventually settled, we were scared to move her" Sophie laughed.

"Did she not settle when you played music to her?" I asked as she usually settles when she hears Danny singing.

"Nope, well not the album versions" Glen said rolling his eyes "Luckily I had a recording from the studio last week and she calmed down a bit when she heard that"

"You should've rang us" I said feeling guilty that they had to deal with one of Keira's tantrums.

"You weren't exactly just down the road though were you?" Glen said with a cheeky smile.

"No, but you shouldn't have had to deal with her" I said as I looked at my little sleeping angel.

"So how did it go?" Glen asked with intrigue.

"She said no" Danny said as he came down the stairs.

"Danny!!" I scolded, realising that he was going to make this sound bad at every opportunity. "It was perfect Glen" I continued, "but if you want a party then you two are going to have to tie the knot because we aren't doing it again" I laughed.

"That's not such a bad idea" Glen said as I watched the shocked look on Sophie's face.

"Date a member of The Script if you want to get a fumbled proposal" Sophie said with a laugh.

"Don't worry Soph, just give it 14 years and he'll do it properly." I said with a giggle.

"No, I didn't mean it like that, that wasn't my proposal" Glen said immediately backtracking.

"I'm going to get this one off to bed" Danny said as he lifted Keira from the sofa, "Are you two staying here tonight?" he asked Glen and Sophie.

"Yeah, why not?" Sophie replied "And Kay, there's champagne in the fridge coz these two thought we'd be celebrating your engagement tonight" she said as she rolled her eyes.

I walked to the kitchen, closely followed by Sophie. "What the fuck was that?" she asked as soon as we were out of earshot of the lads.

"A proposal?" I said, almost holding my breath awaiting her reaction. Sophie had made it very clear from the beginning of her relationship with Glen that she didn't believe in marriage.

"Kay, I've been with him for 13 years and he's never even mentioned marriage, he knows how I feel about it." She said almost sounding worried.

"Don't worry about it" I told her honestly, "Its not like he actually got down on one knee"

"Oh Kay, what happened?" she asked, letting me know that she didn't want to talk about her.

"I think I laughed at him" I said, remembering the moment I turned and saw Danny on one knee. "But actually, tonight has been perfect and even though we aren't getting married again, I appreciated getting the romantic proposal."

"Well cheers to that" Sophie said holding her glass out.