04 || 𝐀𝐂𝐂𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐃

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝗼𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 2

One of April's guards escorted Mikey's group to their own private tents. Vincent and Duke were in one tent, and Regan, Shado, Sunny, and Mikey in another. Their horses are tied up outside grazing on straw and drinking from buckets of water.

Michelangelo took his pack off Dally the mule and patted her neck to show she did a good job the past few days. He walks back into the tent to see Regan is unpacking her things on her newly clean sheeted bed. "So," Mikey says. Regan looks up. "What uh... Do you think?"

She brought out some folded clothes. "It's okay, I guess." Regan is still careful about her wounded arm. Recently, he was attacked by a live dog and it tore her arm up pretty good. luckily, Mikey fixed her up.

While they talked, Shado sparked a flame and tossed it into an oil drum with gasoline and wood. This made a heater on the outside of both tents. "That'll do." She says, praising her slightly cold hands to the heat and glances down at her side where Sunny showed off his bright pink tongue. "Huh, boy?" Shado stroked his upright ears and head. "I think we should have a look around. What do you say?"

Sunny whimpered excitedly. Shado took that as a yes and looks straight ahead to see people talking to each other near an old traffic light.

****

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝗼𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 2

Vincent walked into her tent and found Duke organizing his things that were tucked away in his pack. His amputee girlfriend greeted him with a kiss on the cheek and sat on their bed. She sat quietly with the new stump sitting in her lap, an invisible limb wiggling its fingers. "It's gonna be a challenge to defend us."

Duke looks at her as he laid out a blanket over the bed. "I know, but for now I want you to be careful. It'll take a long time for that to heal." He says.

It's quiet. Vv noticed Regan, Shado, and Mikey didn't bother her about keeping her stump safe and away from harm. They know she's tough, yet it seems Duke can't let go of his girlfriend and allow her to take care of herself. She's a big girl. "What do ya think of this place, Duke?" She asked him.

"What do I think? I think it's an okay place. What 'bout you?"

Vincent shrugged it off and changed the subject quickly. "You know, uh..." She trailed off and itched her head with her left hand. Duke leaned in to make eye contact with her. "I have been thinking about this the past few months and years...That..."

"Yeah...?" He says gently.

She and Duke have never talked about this before. She knows that this is atopic that sounded ridiculous to be speaking about because it would be selfish. "What if we started a family?"

"A-A family?" He chuckled at her. "Vincent, you know it's dangerous to bring a kid into this world. Remember Kri? She's dying because of it."

"She's carrying a mutant, Duke. We are humans."

He sighed and sat on the bed with her, resting a hand on her back. "Babe," He started. "W-Why do you want a family?"

Vv smiled at the very faint memory in her head. "Ever since I was little, I would play House and pretend I was a mother of five children. Growing up I wanted to be a babysitter, a daycare nursery employee, a mother when I had a job, and a husband. I just... love kid.." She gulped down gathering saliva in her mouth. "But that was cut short when the world ended."

"I understand, babe," Duke informed with a wide grin. This made his temporarily disabled girlfriend smile back and rest her head on his shoulder.

****