39 || 𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐑

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝗼𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞𝐬 1 & 2

Patience and Roan loaded whatever firearms they had in their tents with the remaining ammo they owned in their bags or boxes sitting around. She tossed her boyfriend, who she is trying to get closer with a fresh magazine for an average-sized handgun. "Here."

"Thanks." Roan clacked the magazine into the gun and set the gun down on the table he had in his tent.

"So, Zayn. He's a friend of yours?" Patience asked, cleaning a couple of guns and building new arrows for her bow. Silly, her little lizard friend sat on her shoulder, squeaking in curiosity and chirping.

Roan nodded. "Yeah. He's pretty cool."

"How did you meet him?"

"I've known Zayn for a few years. I was born this way; a mutant lizard and became human-like. Zayn found me in his backyard one day and just took me under his wing."

Patience caught on. "So, he sort of rescued you."

"Yeah." Roan then started to clean up inside the tent.

"He's very chill. He also has this side of him that I have never seen in my teens. Zayn is...is..."

"Too kind? Somewhat like a teacher?" Roan finished.

"Yeah."

Roan cleared his throat and sat on the cot beside Patience, still making her own arrows out of wood planks. "Don't say anything but Zayn was a teen father before all this."

Patience stopped for a second. "Really? What happened?"

"Zayn's girlfriend left him with his son just days before the outbreak."

"That's terrible..."

Roan nodded. "He went to go find them and... He did. They weren't themselves anymore. Both, his two-year-old son and girlfriend died. Zayn doesn't speak of them. Ever."

Patience felt so bad for her new friend who helped save Leo and Criss. "How old is Zayn?"

"Nineteen."

It would be quite a struggle if Zayn still had his girlfriend and son still around. Sometimes people need to go solo in a world like this because they're not capable of protecting a family. "I won't say anything. I'll just be a friend to him."

Roan smiled at Patience. "Thanks." He said.

****

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝗼𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 3

Amber smelled out the horses right after finding Osa and Kodi. She got on top of Lucky with Kodi leaning on her shoulder and Rep held Osa in front of him on Stamina. He quickly found a house that had been untouched by bandits or infected and decided to use that for the night.

Rep guides the horses into the backyard and locks the gate on the side of the house. Amber helped Kodi in through the backslider and Rep carried Osa inside this small home. "Sit here, Kodi." Amber put him in a recliner.

Rep turned on his flashlight inside the house so he can see the couch he laid Osa on. "Wait here." He says, then leaves to get what he needed outside on Stamina.

Amber stroked Kodi's face, talking and rattling to him. "You'll be okay. You just need some rest." Her ears flicked and chirped while they moved. She cleans his scratched-up face with a rag and got him to open his eyes.

"Thanks for saving me." He mumbled.

"You're my big brother. Of course, I'm going to save you."

Rep barged in the slider with a small kit and shut the glass door and closed the torn drapes. His light is the only thing that can be seen by normal human beings but can sometimes temporarily blind a shifter. Amber and Kodiak look away from the beam.