17 || 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

𝐕𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 2

Maddy and I were just about finished setting up a table in the park where the community's get-together was. We laid out different types of guns, knives, bullets, and anything else that is needed to survive alone. "Nice," I said, putting my single hand on my hip.

The friendly alien-looking human nods with a smile. "Yeah, I think it--" she is interrupted when a massive bang caused her to flinch. The both of us turn away from our weapon table and look in the direction of the main gates. "What was that?" She asked.

I took a few steps from the table and try to make out what the problem is down the road. April and a couple of her guards open the gates to bring in a group that came from the outside.

Maddy quickly says, "Someone is dead."

****

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝗼𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 1

Leo remembered right away that if a mother isn't breathing, then her unborn baby isn't getting oxygen. He hated to make this decision that needed to take place right at this tragic moment. "We need to open her up." He gets up and looks at the human and mutant tiger guards. "Please! She has an unborn and he's suffocating!!"

The guards didn't hesitate to holster their weapons and handle Kri's limp body. They hauled her inside where Clem, Faith, Criss, and Kitty rushed behind them to keep Leo and Raph updated.

All that is left outside the gates are Raph, Casey, Patience, and the leader of Tribe One.

Raphael sobbed his heart out, huffing and puffing in his knees as he leaned against the truck's right rear tire. When everyone tried to take in what happened with Kristen, tears fell down their cheeks, and stay silent to respect Kri. Shortly after that, the leader of this community they just approached emerges from the gates. "Oh my gosh, Leo?" It's April. She's thrilled to see two more of her mutant friends and Casey are still breathing. But this isn't the right time to have a second family reunion-- the vibe was just too awkward and sudden.

****

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝗼𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 1

The mutant tiger guard carried Kri through the crowd of curious people, making way to Lin, one of the doctors of this place. "Lin, Lin! Dead mother, unborn baby still inside." The tiger ran into the triage and laid Kri's body across a bed that was thankfully available. The girls, Criss, Clem, Kitty, and Faith are pushed outside by the guard to give Lin privacy.

"What's happening in there? Why can't we go inside?" Faith asked the tiger quickly before he made them do anything else. No one was able to process who was who because everything was going on too fast. Pretty much, everyone just went with the flow before they could focus on everything else later.

He answered. "Our doctor, Lin is going to do everything she can to save the child. Give her space and she'll be done quickly."

"But--" Clem couldn't find words and cried quietly instead, still refreshing her memory that Kri passed away about ten minutes ago. "Oh, Raph-- I feel terrible for him." The girl's voice broke.

Criss thought the feeling was very mutual and brought the girl who was hard as rock into a hug to calm her.

****

𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐭𝗼𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 2

Vincent followed Maddy away from their setup to see what the ruckus is about. The amputee girl jogged to where she had her stump taken care of when she first arrived at EdgePort, and she did not expect to see a few familiar faces standing at the triage. "Guys?" Her voice rose in excitement.