12 || 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄

𝐕𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 2

I'm actually enjoying myself as Duke and I shared another happy moment together during the get-together. We haven't had this much excitement since the world died. We loved dancing in a crowd of people, hearing them laugh and holler at one another. Duke would spin me, smiling throughout every minute, and then dips me at the end of the song. Right after that, a slow song came on.

The slow dance sure is a real treat. A treat that we all wish lasted a lifetime. My boyfriend held me very close to his chest as if he thought someone would snatch me away from him. "This feels nice," I whispered underneath Duke's chin.

"I agree." Said Duke. "We don't have to worry about--"

POW! POW!

We spoke too soon.

The mutants and people gasped, stopping their fun and turning all attention down the street to the main gates. April appears out of nowhere with a walkie-talkie and speaks into it, worried about her people and their safety. "Speak to me, Zeke, over." She waited for a response.

"Just a couple of Stalkers. We took care of them."

April sighed and nodded. "Use arrows next time, the party died down. Over."

My happiness went down a bunch. Then, I remembered how I got bit and was forced to amputate my hand in order to stay alive. We still have to worry about monstrous infected people roaming the outside.

Sometimes I wonder what'd it will be like if we could just eliminate all infected around the world. I turn to Duke. "We still have to worry about the creeps out there..." The moment in the dance has been ruined because the Dead crashed the party just by coming to the gates. Most people left when the shots were fired and that was my cue to leave as well.

"Vincent?" Duke follows after me out of the tent. We were heading back to the tent. "Vv, it was just the guards killing the infected. Look, people are still at the dance." He told me, trying to show that this wasn't entirely ruined.

I shake my head, still walking. "I lost my amusement, Duke." My feet continue to take me back to the tents by our horses.

"Vv, don't let some sick people ruin our night together." He says to me.

So he thinks-- I faced him. "That's what you think of 'em? Sick? I thought you said those things were dead."

Duke gathered up some words. "I don't even know anymore because who wants to be near those things to find out?"

While Duke and I were talking on the way to the tent, I heard a British accent butt into my conversation with Duke. "They're not dead until they reach the unthinkable." Said the boy.

Duke was getting frustrated from tonight's problems. "Excuse me, sir," He told the young man. "But you'll have to talk to us later because my girlfriend and I are in the middle of a chat."

"No." I stopped in my walk, turning to the boy and walking up to him. "What do you mean they're not dead?"

"The host is not dead until the body can no longer handle the virus." He said.

And then I remembered I had somebody in my group before this. "Kri's immunity..."

****

𝐋𝐞𝗼'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐞 1
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐜𝐤

It's hard to sleep right now. All I could think about was where to go from here. So many different towns were going off inside my head and I couldn't decide. "Philadelphia or Pittsburgh," I say quietly, careful not to disturb Raphael and whoever was in the back of the truck with me.