Chapter 6: Fear

A.N: Next chapter!!!!! I hope you like this and if you're seeing The Incredibles 2 in cinema then comment! Disney all the way!!!!!!!!
Hope you're enjoying this fanfic!😝😝😝

Warning: Just some cursing.

Katsuki's P.O.V:
I leave the classroom and instantly slump against the wall, eyes wide. My heart thumps furiously in my chest.

What was that? I think, dread creeping up my spine. The feeling, the heart-wrenching feeling when I watched Izuku fall backwards off the balcony.....
It was horrible.

As if a snake had coiled around my chest, I couldn't breathe. A thick bubbling substance clawed up my throat and my blood turned to ice in my veins. I couldn't move. My legs were like lead, my body like ice and I just couldn't move. I wanted to. No matter how much, I hate Deku, I don't want him to die. But, I couldn't.
I just couldn't.

What was that feeling? I've never felt like that before. The pain, the immobilization, the fea—
Fear.
It was fear.
But that's impossible. Me? Afraid? Of course not. I'm never afraid. I've been kidnapped by villains, fought people with stronger quirks than my own, watched All Might battle a Nomu specifically designed to destroy him and through all of it I was never afraid. Sure, a little nervous but, that just fuelled my adrenaline and pushed me to move, to fight, to win. This on the other hand... This cold rock placed in my chest that's painful and constricting and suffocating –
This terror.
I've never felt anything like it.
And why would I feel such terror for Deku of all people? Why would I care so much if he had fallen off the balcony? He has a quirk. He would’ve landed without a scratch on him and yet I was terrified.
As if he was still that simple, quirkless nerd from middle school who would die if he fell.
That's right. Deku would've died, if he didn't have a quirk.
That thought scares me. Why? It's Deku. Miserable, worthless, pathetic Deku. The bastard who treated me like I was weak and needed help. The shitty nerd who took notes on heroes even though he knew he could never be like them. The idiot who miraculously gained a quirk.
Deku. Just Deku.
So why do I care?
I hate him. I absolutely despise him. I've treated him like shit, I've wrecked our friendship, I've stomped on his dreams countless times. He's pathetic and useless and he'll never become a hero so, why would I care?

Am I even allowed to care?

That's right. How many years did I hurt him? How many times did I push him aside? How many words did I use to stomp on his dreams and grind his hopes to dust?
It's sickening. It's absolutely sickening that after everything I've done, I have this black hole in my chest that seems to be sucking the life out of me.
I regret it. All of it.
What kind of disturbing thoughts am I having? Regretting what I've done to Deku? That's ridiculous. I shouldn't even care.
I don't care.
I don't.

With effort, I push off the wall and stumble through the corridors. The bell rings loudly but, it is muffled against the heavy pounding of my heartbeat and the squeaking of my shoes against the floor. I slam into someone and glance up briefly to see that girl Deku's always blushing around.
"Bakugo, watch where you're going–" Her big eyes widen, as I stumble past, face pale. My chest squeezes tightly until I'm gasping for breath. "B...Bakugo!....Are you alright? Class is starting....!" She calls but, I'm not listening. An itchy, thick lump forms in my throat and I blink past the burning of my eyes. My feet start to move faster, until I'm sprinting down the hallway, pushing past people and willing away this all-consuming darkness welling up in me.
It's like tar, pouring into my mouth and nose and swirling around inside me, suffocating– much like the Sludge Villain that took me hostage.
Everything in me tells me to run, to escape, to get as far away from Deku and all the emotions I've repressed as possible. Everything's resurfacing, with a single glance of his shimmering, jade eyes – so innocent and honest, they're almost child-like.
I need to get away! The thought hums through my body and settles into my bones until, I'm pushing myself harder, darting around corners as fast as possible. My legs burn and my lungs ache with each labouring breath.