Thirty seven

"So what have you been up to?".

"Nothing, I just cleaned and...".

"Wait, you cleaned?" She looked around the house as if she was just seeing it for the first time, then whistled. "I've told you several times that whenever you're feeling stressed just come to my place" I smiled feeling touched, then I glared at her when she added. "That place could use a real cleanup. Seriously get something better to do, like paint your nails instead of working yourself to death".

"I was bored okay!" I retorted.

"Don't worry, mama's here now. How 'bout we go shopping? I have a thirty minute break before they send out a search party after me".

"Thirty minute? That's way too short for shopping" I said averting her piercing gaze.

"Guess how I know you're lying, one, that was a really dumb excuse, and two, you once dragged to the mall and we were out in no less than ten minutes".

I bit my lip trying to hide the laughter that was bubbling up in my throat. "Since you don't want to go shopping what do you suggest? My thirty minutes break is down to twenty two because of all the drama that happened outside".

There was an awkward silence after what Sam said, I know it was still hard for her to let go of everything that happened and it wasn't something that I was going to forget either thanks to Xander but I wasn't about to let that come between us.

"There's this new mall, it's not far from the coffee shop, they....".

"A new mall? And I didn't know about it, wow I'm starting to lose my touch".

"So as I was saying, they use fake snow as a kind of trade mark thing to attract customers. We should totally try it out, what do you say?" I said smiling.

"That sounds like fun" She frowned, I should have known she was up to something. "But coming from you.... That sounds super weird, I am the fun one remember? And well, well you are the other one. You and fun, just don't get along" She cracked up laughing and in my own opinion, maniacally.

"Ha ha ha, very funny, so you wanna go?".

"Of course I wanna go, but seriously how come I don't know about this place and you do".

"I saw it on TV, while I was trying to watch something.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Let's go".

****************************

All my life I never thought that my actions could get me in trouble...... Who am I kidding? Of course I thought that. First my inability to mind my business put me in an unwanted spotlight and then my inattention toward my best friend made her suffer and almost ruined me, but that was in the past now. After finding out that the person I was fighting for doesn't deserve it, I backed out, I was there to comfort my best friend when she needed me and I got out of a sticky situation alright, but not without a scratch.

I can't look at Sam without thinking of everything she must have gone through, I can't even pass by the playground without thinking about that dreadful night but I was glad things turned out right again and everything was okay. I have nothing to worry about anymore, but I had no idea that I have a lot to worry about, and I was dead wrong to think everything was okay.

"Do you really have to go?" Sam asked trailing behind me in her living room.

"Yeah, I can't keep avoiding mum and as a matter of fact if I stay here for too long she'd suspect something".

"But if you go who's gonna help me clean up?" I raised an eyebrow at her. "I mean I enjoyed your company too" She said slyly.

I just shook my head at her, grabbed my purse and car keys from the table in the middle of the room. The bruises on my face were starting to fade but they were still there and I know it was going to take sometime to heal completely but I still wasn't ready to face Lucy Henderson yet, the woman could pick up every single details, she can even pass off as a detective nothing and I mean absolutely nothing, escapes her. Like that one time Sam and I snuck out to a club party with fake ids, of course she found out and speaking for myself, it was the most embarrassing week of my life because she made Sam and I wear matching onesies with bold 'Still a baby' lettering in front and back for a week and that was of course after we were being grounded for a month, I mean what kind of store sells ridiculous outfits like that anyway.