chapter twenty six

"I saw the article" Mom said.

I frowned. "What article?".

"What? You think I wouldn't find out? I went just a few miles not out of the planet, and they happened to have a television there" She looked at me with a disappointed frown.

I felt guilty for lying to her. Since I was a kid I had always told her almost everything, I and my mother have a very close relationship. "I wanted to mom, I just felt like it would be better to tell you in person. And I didn't really know about the article" She raised a perfectly sleek eyebrow at me and I gave her a small smile. "Okay maybe I know but I didn't think you were going to see it".

"Okay. Sam what's your excuse?".

Sam gave her a dramatic look. "I'm just an innocent bystander" Mom rolled her eyes at her.

Mom let out a loud girly squeal. "I can't believe this. My baby finally has a man in her life, oh this is huge".

It was my turn to roll my eyes like Sam said she can be overly dramatic sometimes. "I can't wait to meet him, you should tell him to come over for dinner one of this days".

I widened my eyes in horror there was no way I'm having that sicko in my house. I looked at Sam who looked like she was having so much fun seeing me squirm.

"Mom he's a very busy man, I don't think.....".

"No one's ever too busy for a warm hearty meal" I wanted to make a sassy retort but clamped my mouth shut I can think of a way out later.

"I'm so happy for you baby" She gushed and pulled me into one of her warm hugs. Beside her Sam smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

*****************************

I sat beside Sam who was curled up on the bed in my room. Mom had given her a pain killer after they had both argued about going to the hospital, Sam had won the argument on the condition that I stayed to look after her. While mom had gone back to the shop to take care of 'things' like she said.

"Babe you asleep?" I asked because she was backing me and she had been quite for sometimes.

"Nope" She said starting to sit up. "And I'm guessing I won't be able to until I've answered your questions".

"I wasn't going to..... I mean not that...." She raised her eyebrow at me. I didn't want to pressure her. "Yeah whatever".

She chuckled. "Remember I told you about a guy I was crushing on?".

"What has that got to do with any of these?".

"Do you remember?" She pressed.

"Yeah maybe, but that was like last year and I can't even remember his name. Was it Axe, Amp, or something".

"Alex. Alexander".

"Oh" Then it hit me. "Wait you mean it's the same guy? I mean Xander?".

"Yes. And then he asked me out and well everything went going from there" She avoided my eyes and I had a feeling I was not going to like what she was about to tell. "He has anger issues and tend to get angry at the slightest things but I didn't know he could get violent sometimes".

I clenched my fist and my frown deepened. "When you called me.....it wasn't the first he was hitting you, right?".

She nodded. "Goodness why didn't you tell me, you've been going through this for only God knows how long. Sam you're my best friend" I moved closer to her and held both her hands in mine. "You're my sister how can you not tell me any of this?".