Chapter 3

I got to Stacey's house safely. I knocked on the door and waited for a few minutes before she answered.

"Ava! Oh my God, your nose!" She covered her mouth with one of her hands.

"Wow, thanks for the confidence boost," I muttered sarcastically while walking inside. "Is it really that bad? I haven't looked in a mirror yet today."

She nodded. "Sorry, but it is."

Groaning, I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. My nose was crooked to the left a little, the flesh around it swollen and black and blue. There was a shallow cut on the bridge of my nose, right where my glasses would sit if I ever wore them. I touched the bruised skin gently, then quickly pulled my finger away when I found out the bruise hurt.

"Fuck," I said simply.

Stacey grimaced. "What happened?"

"I got into a fight," I lied easily. I could tell Stacey didn't believe me, but what could she do about it? She just nodded and got a bandaid.

"Here, dumbass. Now, while you try and fix yourself up, tell me- where the hell did you end up last night?" Stacey sat down in the hallway and waited for me to talk.

"Well," I began slowly, smiling at the semi-wild events that had happened, "I was tryin' to make it to your house, and I met someone named Two-Bit. He took me to Darry's house and he tried to help my nose. I went to sleep and met the rest of their friends. They're all nice guys, surprisingly."

"Did they mention a party?" Stacey asked mischievously, grinning. "'Cause there's a Greaser party tonight. If they're all nice guys, don't that mean you wanna see 'em again?"

"They are nice guys, and yeah, I wanna go. But Dad won't let me-"

"When will you realize that your dad doesn't have to know everythin'?"

"Well, I'm sure he worried 'cause he didn't see me last night," I lied again. Really, Dad would just get pissed if I went to a party. "But I'll ask him."

I opened the door. Thank God it was unlocked this time. I could hear Dad in the kitchen, probably making a mess. As I walked through our small house, I picked up some of the empty beer bottles along the way to the trash can.

Dad saw me when I went into the kitchen.

"Where you been, kid?" he asked gruffly, sipping on his beer.

"At Stacey's house, Dad. Can I spend the night there tonight?"

He snorted. "You sure she wants you there? Hell, I don't care where you go. All you do is cause problems here anyway."

I swallowed and looked at the ground. "Thanks, Dad. I'll see you tomorrow."

Stacey got me ready for the party. I borrowed some of her nicer clothes that fit me the best out of her wardrobe- I was taller than her so most things were short- and we headed to the party. She wanted to put makeup on me, but her makeup didn't match my skin tone- her skin was darker than my pale ass- and dad would never let me waste money on makeup.

It was at Buck's bar. I'd never been, unlike every other Greaser because I didn't really drink. I know that sounds lame, but when I drink I get too dumb for my own good, and I'm always scared that I'll get myself pregnant or something.

I talked to some people with Stacey until she met a guy she liked and left.

Stacey was one of those people who didn't want a real relationship if you know what I mean, not that there's any shame in that. Whatever makes you happy makes you happy, and, quite frankly, screwing around made Stacey happy.

I sat at the bar and talked to Buck for awhile. I had to explain several times that I did not want to get drunk and go upstairs with him.

Someone's hand clapped onto my shoulder and I jumped about a foot into the air.

"I thought you said you weren't comin'," Two-Bit said easily into my ear. He sat down next to me and ordered us both drinks.

I smiled at him. "I wasn't gonna, but... just kinda did."

Buck brought us our drinks. "Enjoy," he said loudly and drunkenly, winking and tipping his cowboy hat. "Hey, do you know when Dal's gonna be outta jail?"

Two-Bit shrugged. "I dunno, I guess another month. He might get out early on good behavior. You know, I don't get why he can act so good in jail but can't anywhere else."

Buck opened his mouth to give his opinion, but Two-Bit continued talking to me. "Why don't I ever see you 'round here?"

"I've never been here before," I confessed, looking around at the drunk people dancing together, all of them being too handsy.

"What school do you go to? I woulda noticed you if you went to school with me."

I told him about my school. "I can't see you in a classroom," I laughed.

His eyes widened. "I love school."

"What?"

"All you do is see friends and fuck around," he continued. "What else do I like to do?" He took a drink. Sighing, I tipped my beer back and grimaced at the taste. I couldn't ever get used to the taste of beer, no matter how many times I tried it.

"Well, I'm guessin' you like to drink," I teased quietly.

"And what's stoppin' me from doin' that at school?"

"The rules, but I think don't you give a damn about those."

He nodded. Changing the subject, he asked, "How's your nose feel?"

I shrugged. "It's okay. It ain't too bad, I guess."

"So... what happened?"

"A fight," I said quietly, looking away quickly. I tapped my fingers on the bar top, hoping that he would get the message that I didn't want to stay on this topic for long.

"Really? Can you teach me somethin'?" he inquired seriously, looking at my hands.

"What?"

"In your fight, how the hell did you keep your knuckles from gettin' bruised or spilt?"

I glared at him, fear and defensiveness flaring up inside me. "I don't know what you're talkin' about."

He shrugged. "Never mind, then." I saw him glance across the room. Following his eyes, I saw Johnny and Ponyboy talking together. Remembering the bruises on Johnny, I wondered if his parents hit him.

Buck set another drink in front of me. Murmuring, "Fuck it," under my breath, I drank some of my second drink.