Chapter 68

I glanced behind us and saw not one, but two soc cars trailing us. I looked at Two-Bit, who was walking beside me and saw his hand go in his pocket. He had his switchblade on him.

"Don't act scared," Steve muttered. "If they wanna fight, we can run. But don't act scared now."

We all kept walking for another few feet before the first car sped up and swerved in front of us, blocking our path. We stood our ground, watching as Bob, Randy and three others stepped out of the first car. Five socs got out of the second car.

Ten against six.

I recognized most of them. I wished I had a blade.

"Just let us go," Soda said. "You got my brother bad enough to send your message."

Bob, with the rest of them, laughed. He stepped up to Soda. "I don't think I did, pretty boy. If I had, I think you would've started running by now."

Bob sucker-punched Soda, and the fight was on.

I turned to the nearest soc. It was a scrawny boy, his hair covering most of his eyes. Before he could hit me, I kicked him where the sun don't shine. He gasped and went down on his knees. I turned to try and help Steve, where two socs were wrestling with him.

I got punched in the side of the head. I blinked and stumbled, ears ringing.

I saw who had done it. It was Jim, the soc Dally had saved me from the night he took me to the Curtis'. He gave me a sick smile.

"Nice to see you again, Winston."

I didn't answer. I launched myself at him, scratching at his face. He fell under me. I stayed on top of him, hitting his face. After a few seconds, he rolled quickly and threw me off.

I tried to scramble up. He was too fast and hit my stomach, forcing the air out of my lungs. I gasped, trying to get air as he elbowed my jaw, missing my nose only because I had the sense to move my head. My jaw popped and pain shot through it.

He hit me until I couldn't feel anything but pain. My eyes were swelling shut. My nose felt like it was being ground into my face.

I saw Two-Bit pull him off me. I stayed on the ground for a few moments, then stumbled up. I saw Pony and Johnny both on the ground, pinned down and bleeding. Steve was being held up by one soc and hit by another. Soda, Two-Bit, and I were the last three standing.

I charged at the soc hitting Steve, stumbling into him and knocking him back. He saw my face and cringed before I swung at him. I barely touched his nose, but it was enough to piss him off. He hit me in the cheek, then the ear.

I tried to fight back, but I was tired and in a lot of pain. He had my arms behind my back in a matter of seconds.

I saw Soda go down. Everyone was done, all of us pinned, either on the ground or standing with our arms behind us.

The socs had won.

But they weren't done.

Bob walked in front of us. He was smiling from ear to ear, relishing his victory.

"Alright," Steve sighed. "You won." He sounded even more tired than me. He was being held back by Dennis.

"Yeah, I know I did." Bob nodded. "But I'm not quite done with you." The socs forced the ones who were on the ground to stand. Bob paced, finally stopping in front of Johnny. "You're the one I jumped before, aren't you?"

Johnny nodded, letting his head hang down.

"Sorry to say this Randy, but your sister hasn't got that good of taste in guys," Bob laughed.

Randy scoffed. "Tell me about it."

"Come on," Soda groaned. "You won. Let us go."

"No, I don't think so, pretty boy." He glared at Soda. "You're the dumb one, right?"

Steve shouted and tried to lunge at Bob, but that just got him a knee to the gut.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." Soda smiled, blood running from his lip.

"He's a helluva lot better lookin' than you- that's for sure!" Two-Bit replied, laughing. He stopped once Bob walked in front of me. "Don't touch her," he growled.

Bob smirked. "You two are a thing, right? How cute." He slapped me, stinging the side of my face. I heard shouts from the gang and struggling.

"You hit your mother with that hand?" I asked, no trace of a smile on my face. I thought I heard Johnny laugh.

"Goddamn, you even sound like him," Bob said. He leaned in close, so close I could smell the liquor on his breath. "I'd watch my tone if I were you."

"Duly noted."

He shook his head, smiling. "When will you people ever learn you can't talk to me like that?"

"When you learn that havin' daddy's money don't mean you own us." Pony sounded the most pissed I'd ever heard him. I felt kinda proud, honestly.

Bob walked over to Pony. Without a word, he punched Pony hard enough to whip his head back.

"Here's how this is gonna go," Bob announced. "Every time one of you shitheads mouths me off, that's gonna get you a hit like that." He pointed to Pony, whose nose was bleeding. A lot. "We're going to do that until you learn to keep your goddamn mouths shut!"

"Teachers tell me I got a learnin' disorder." Two-Bit grinned. "So that might take a while for me."

Bob smiled. "I knew I was gonna have fun with you, Mathews."

"I don't swing that wa-" he was cut off when Bob kicked him in the stomach.

I started struggling again, trying to get to Bob. I'd show him what it was like to mess with a Winston and their friends.

He saw me. "Usually we wouldn't include a girl in this. But, we decided to make an exception, just for you." He nodded at Jim, whose hands were free. He smiled and hit me, snapping my head to the left, just in time for me to see a car pass by.

I screamed, "HELP!" at the top of my lungs. It's headlights passed over us, but it kept going.

"Nice try," Jim scoffed and hit me again. And again.

"Leave her alone!" Two-Bit shouted. "She's a fuckin' girl!"

"Yeah, I'm a fuckin' girl," I said before I spit blood on Jim's face.

He gagged and wiped at his face, calling me every name under the sun. I laughed.

He got my blood off and hit me, making sure a ring caught my skin. I felt my knees give, but the soc held me up.

"That's enough," Randy said. He was somewhere to my left, but I didn't know where. "She's done."

He was right. The world was spinning around me. I tried to stay awake.

"Aww," Jim said. "Just one more, for old times sake."

I tried to tell him to give me his best shot, but nothing came out of my mouth.

Just as he hit me again, I heard someone yelling.

I was hallucinating. I had to be. It couldn't be.

But I heard Johnny rasp, "Dally?"