Chapter 45

Hours later, Dally and I walked into the Dingo. I forced him to come early so we could be sure to get a seat and hopefully be prepared as possible to see mom. Dally was sulking more than usual, going almost competently nonverbal. 

After Dal and I got our drinks, mom walked in. She was right on time. I felt Dallas stiffen next to me and sigh. Mom saw us from across the diner and practically ran to us, smiling.

There were tears in her eyes when she said, "It's been too long, Dallas!" 

"Like that's my fault?" His voice was quiet, almost too quiet for me to hear.

Mom either didn't hear him or ignored his comment completely. "I've missed you so much, Dallas." She slid into the booth across from us, obviously fighting tears. "I've missed you both." 

Dally and I glanced at each other and stayed silent. I decided that since I had already seen and talked to mom, I would stay mostly quiet.  

"I'm glad you two are still close," she continued, smiling.  

"Yeah, recently," I mumbled, "we've been around each other a lot more." 

Mom tried to reply, but Dally cut her off. "What do you want?" he snapped, rolling his eyes. "Could we just get this over with?" 

Mom nodded briskly, then wiped at her eyes. "Yeah, yes. If that's what you want." 

"Well, that's what I asked for, so..." 

"I just wanted to let you both know that I'm very sorry for what I've done to you. I want to know what I can do to make up for-" 

Dallas's laughter cut her off. 

I shifted uncomfortably next to him, saying loudly, "I don't think that's... possible." I knew I was thinking that if mom hadn't sent us out, dad wouldn't have ever gotten the chance to come near Dallas or me. 

Dallas nodded, still laughing hard. "Oh my god, that's funny," he said after a minute, collecting himself. "You think you can just waltz in and promise to make up for what you've done? What you caused to happen?" 

"Dallas, please listen to me. I just-" 

"You can't just promise somethin' like that, not when you don't know anythin' about what happened to me. Not when you don't know what's happened to Ava." 

She put her head down, looking at the table instead of Dally and I. I could see that Dally's words were hurting her, but I couldn't find it in me to stop him. 

"I want to try," she responded quietly, still looking down. 

"Is that all?" Dallas asked, sounding bored. 

"I'm getting married soon and I want you both to meet him."  

"You sure you want to tie the knot?" Dally raised his eyebrows. "Doesn't seem like somethin' you'd do." 

"I love him," she stated simply. 

"That's nice and all, but I think I'd get bored real quick of bein' married. Havin' to fuck the same person for the rest of your life just isn't my style." 

"There's cheating." I shrugged. "You just seem like more of an asshole if you cheat when you're married." 

Mom's face was stuck in an expression that was somewhere in between shocked and utterly mortified. "This- this is why I need to be in your lives," she finally choked out. "People your age should never talk or even think that way." 

"Yeah, because you've always had the greatest character." Dal rolled his eyes, leaning back. 

"When will we meet this guy?" I asked, deciding that Dal and I needed to get away from mom before we said something we regretted. 

"James and I are staying for three more days. You can come to meet him tomorrow at the hotel if you want." 

I looked at Dallas who just nodded. "Tomorrow at the same time." I tried to smile at mom. "See you then." 

Dally got out of the booth, and I followed him quickly. I just wanted to leave. 

Mom practically ran to Dally and hugged him before he could escape. Before he pushed mom away, I could've sworn he was fighting a small smile. She hugged me quickly as well and followed us into the parking lot.

"Where do you want to go?" 

"Two-Bit's house." 

"The Curtis' it is." 

"Dallas I swear I will walk to his house if you don't just take me there."  

"Who's this Two-Bit kid?" mom asked. I hadn't realized she was still standing near Dal and I. 

"My... friend." 

"I know that voice, young lady," mom scolded. "Dallas, do not take her to his house."  

"I wasn't going to. Let's go, Ava." Under his breath, he muttered, "Stupid whore." 

Dallas stopped at Buck's before we went to the Curtis'. He made up some excuse, but I was sure he stopped so he could take a minute before seeing the gang to make sure he was alright. He went upstairs, but I stayed at the bar and ordered a beer. I wasn't going to get completely smashed, but I thought I deserved a beer or two. 

I saw a few familiar faces but didn't go talk to any of them. I wasn't in the mood.

I heard someone talking loudly with an edge in their voice from the other side of the room. Glancing over, I saw a familiar-looking girl being cornered by two greaser guys. The girl looked like a soc, with a nice skirt and purse. I tried to figure out where I knew her from, but couldn't place her. 

Buck was watching them from behind the bar, then sighed. "Next two beers are free if you get them outta here," he offered to me, smiling. When I raised my eyebrows, he added, "And a free one for everybody in your gang, too."

After we shook on it, I stood up and walked over to the three. 

"-don't belong here, Anderson," one growled, stepping toward the girl. 

I cleared my throat, and the two guys looked back at me. "Buck wants you out of the bar," I said, making my point quickly. 

One looked at the other and laughed. "And what're you gonna do about it?"

"Call my brother down," I replied, already bored. "Dallas Winston? You may have heard the name." 

One's face paled, and the other lost his smile. 

"Tell Buck we'll be back," one growled, pushing past me and walking out the door. The other followed. 

The girl, who was definitely a soc, forced a smile. Her make-up was perfect and her clothes nice. 

"Do I know you?" I finally asked. 

She nodded. "The Dingo. And we're even now." 

I suddenly remembered where I knew her from. She was the one who had stopped that soc at the Dingo when he was going to kiss me. I nodded. "Yeah, we're even." Looking around, I asked, "What the hell are you doin' here? A soc... isn't welcome here." 

"If you want to know, I'm supposed to be meeting someone. But by the look on the bartender's face, I'm expected to leave." She sounded disappointed that she had to leave. 

"A date?" 

She nodded.

I was surprised a soc date would take place here. Maybe they didn't know this was a greaser spot. "Tell me who, and if I see him, I'll tell him what happened." It wasn't likely that a soc guy would even make it into the bar, but I wanted to try and help her out since her night was ruined. 

"Thanks," she said, "but I don't know if he wants anyone to know. He's a greaser and this was our first date." 

I was shocked, and now just wanted to know who it was. And I was totally going to tell the gang. "If you want to tell me, I'll let him know. You're secret's safe with me." 

"Fuck it, it was gonna get out anyways, I'm sure." Taking a breath, she said, "Johnny Cade."