Chapter 25

Two-Bit's face turned red as mine did. He stuttered out, "I... I don't know-"

"Then take a shot," Steve said, "and lose the game. You're down to your last one, and so's Ava."

I'd refused to call Dally and act like I thought I was talking to a boyfriend over the phone and to purposely get arrested. Two-Bit wouldn't give his sister alcohol, and when paired with Darry, refused to make out with him.

"Loooosers," Soda sang, laughing. "Never thought I'd see Two-Bit go down in a game so early."

"I'm not losin'," Two-Bit grumbled, then looked at me. "Unless you don't wanna do this. I mean, I get it if you don't, Ava."

I sighed, looked down, and spoke, "I'll do it." Sometimes, in situations like that, competitiveness was a terrible thing.

"No way," Pony said. "You're gonna regret this."

"I know."

Two-Bit and I stood, about a block away from the Socs party, above the river. They were near the bank partying hard, and there were a lot of people.

The gang stood behind us, crowded around Darry's truck. They were waiting, seeing if we would really do this.

I looked at Two-Bit and I realized both of us had sobered up a bit, from the nerves building up. We were still drunk, but sober enough to walk well.

"Y'all gonna do it?" Steve called, laughing with the rest of them. "Or y'all too pussy?"

"Well... I guess we better do this before we think twice," Two-Bit laughed, forcing a grin.

"Keith," I began seriously, "if you look anywhere but my fucking eyes I'm gonna kill you."

"Same for you, I guess."

He took off his shirt and I did the same, not believing I was really doing this.

I was going to run, almost bare fucking naked, into the middle of a beer blast with Two-Bit Mathews.

"They're doin' it! Holy shit!" Darry yelled, laughing. "Y'all better go fast!"

"We will," I mumbled, sure he didn't hear me.

I took off my pants and was left almost completely exposed in my underwear.

I was happy Steve was going to let us keep on our underwear.

"Eyes only," I hissed at Two-Bit. "I swear if you look-"

"I won't, I promise." He held out his pinky finger and grinned. "Pinky promise."

We shook pinkies.

"Ready!" Steve screeched.

Two-Bit and I faced the beer blast below us, anxiety clawing it's way up my throat.

He glanced at me from the corner of his eye. "You sure you wanna do this?"

We both knew if a Soc caught us, it would end horribly.

"Of course," I breathed.

"Set!"

"I'll try not to leave you behind," I joked, trying to relieve tension. He gave me a stiff laugh.

"I know you won't."

He suddenly grabbed my hand, lacing his fingers through mine.

"Go!"

Without a second glance at each other, we ran. He was slower than I was, but I really wasn't going to leave him behind.

"Move!" Two-Bit screamed at the socs as we reached their party.

Gasps and shouting were heard from the drunk soc kids, and most just dumbly stumbled away from us.

If I hadn't been so out of breath, I would've laughed.

"What the fuck?!" some soc shouted after Two-Bit rammed his shoulder into the socs chest. The soc lunged after us, then called for his friends to chase us down.

"Shit!" I yelled, laughter in my voice.

"Go! Go!" Two-Bit and I pushed ourselves a little harder.

We had a crowd chasing after us but they were stumbling drunk and we were almost sober.

Someone whistled at me as we ran past, and Two-Bit yelled back, "Thanks!" as I flipped them off with my free hand.

As we rapidly approached the last few people at the edge of the crowd, some girl screamed and threw her beer at Two-Bit and I, narrowly missing my head. I felt the sticky liquid coat my skin and get into my hair.

Two-Bit and I made it away from the party unscathed, and after another few seconds, the socs stopped running after us and screamed curses at our backs.

We stopped when we got further away, both of us panting and holding our sides, laughing and giggling when we got enough breath.

"Did you... see-see their faces?" Two-Bit gasped, trying to speak through the laughter and his need for air.

I could only nod, crying because of my laughter.

After a few minutes, we finally composed ourselves. 

"Where are we?" I asked, seeing that we were up from the river bank a bit, and a road was in the distance. The night was getting cold and I wanted to get warm, in my clothes.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Two-Bit said, shrugging. "But I sure could use some clothes."

"I guess we should follow along with that road?"

"Why not?"

"Let's just hope no cars pass by," I joked, still feeling the awkwardness from earlier, but not as bad.

We both forced a laugh as we walked towards the road.

"I'm gonna dieeee!"

"Stop bein' a drama queen and keep walkin'!"

"This is the most exercise I've gotten since I was, like, 8! What do you expect?"

I stopped, putting my hands on my hips, then crossed my arms again when I remembered I didn't have clothes on.

Two-Bit rubbed his legs, sitting on the sidewalk.

"We got to get home soon."

We were back in town and not too far from the Curtis'. We had considered stopping at Buck's, but if Dally were there... it wouldn't end well.

Two-Bit sighed. "Yeah, I know." He stood back up and we started walking again.

I heard the car before I saw the headlights illuminating the street, but I still couldn't dive into the grass so I wouldn't be seen quickly enough.

The car passed us and then skidded to a halt. The headlights on our backs had obviously been enough to tell we only had underwear on.

I felt Two-Bit stiffen beside me and I saw him instinctively reach for his blade, but he didn't have it. It was in his jean pockets or in his jacket.

Anyone, Greaser or Soc, that would find Two-Bit and I like this would certainly jump us. Who would pass up that opportunity? Two naked, tired, drunk people wandering around in the dead of night?

Happy Valentines Day! ❤️ Sorry, this update is a bit past Valentine's Day, but I had to make a few changes and all that good stuff. I hope you guys got some good candy and cards! Thank god it's a three day weekend this weekend, I think everyone really needs it!