Chapter 66

It was almost six when the phone rang. I was sitting at the table with Two-Bit, Soda, and Steve. We had been talking quietly, trying not to wake up Darry or Pony. Darry was asleep on the couch, and Pony on the armchair. Johnny had gone out, and he didn't say where.

"I'll get it," I muttered after several rings. I stood up and tip-toed to the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Ava."

"Dally?" I asked, smiling. "Hey, how are you?"

"Good, good," he slurred. "How are-"

"Are you drunk?" I blinked, looking at the clock again. "It's only six."

He took a second to answer. "Yeah, I know," he finally sighed. "But mom and James want me to go to some big dinner, and I figured this was a good way to get out of it."

"Is it that big of a deal?"

"It wouldn't be if you had come up here."

"Don't start in with that shit," I grumbled.

"Sorry, but it's true. How's Tulsa?"

I hesitated, looking at Darry. I decided Dally didn't need to worry about us. "It's good. Nothin' special goin' on."

"Good. Glad to hear it."

"You wanna talk to anyone else?"

He paused again. "Is Darry around?"

"Nah," I lied. "He's workin' overtime tonight."

"Oh. Well, I only got a minute to talk anyways, so just tell everyone I said hi."

"Alright, Dal. You be safe, okay?"

"You too. Tell Two-Bit I said I won't stop short of plantin' my ass on a train to Tulsa to make sure he don't hurt you."

I laughed. "I don't doubt it. Call again sometime."

"I just might. Bye, Ava."

He hung up. I put the phone back and sighed, going back to the table.

"Was it Dally?" Soda asked.

"He said hi."

"Well shit! He coulda stayed on the phone long enough to talk to the rest of us," Steve said, putting his elbow on the table and hand in the air.

Soda did the same. They started arm wrestling like always. Two-Bit and I watched as Steve slowly won.

Johnny walked in during the middle of the match. He came over to the table and sat next to Two-Bit.

"Ticket, please." Two-Bit grinned and held out his hand.

"Ticket?" Johnny asked.

Two-Bit made a face of astonishment. "You don't have your ticket to the arm wrestling world championship? That'll be a fine of five dollars, kid. And a case of beer."

Johnny rolled his eyes.

"Where you been, anyway?" Steve asked, just as he pushed Soda's hand to the table. "You just missed Dally's phone call."

"I went and met Emily near her house."

Soda started in on Johnny. "You know you shouldn't be out in soc territory right now, Johnny. You coulda got hurt."

"Don't tell me you broke up with her," Steve mumbled.

Johnny shook his head. "Nah. She called me up and wanted to meet. Told me that Randy said that even if I broke up with her now, it was too late."

"They're really gonna go after us all." I put my head in my hands. "We gotta be careful."

"You can say that again." Soda raised his eyebrows. "Try not to go out alone anymore unless you're drivin'. And tell someone where you're goin' if you do."

We all agreed.

"I'll tell Pony when he wakes up," Johnny said.

I leaned back in my chair. "Should we tell Tim Shepard's outfit 'bout this?"

"No," Steve said. "No, this is our business. We shouldn't drag him and his gang into this."

We all agreed.

It was going to be a rough few days. But, eventually, Bob and his soc friends would have to let up. I hoped it would be sooner rather than later.

Darry woke up the next morning. I was asleep in the armchair and had gotten up a few minutes before him. I could hear him moving around from where I was in the kitchen.

I yelled, "Stop movin' right now!" I rushed out of the kitchen and saw him mockingly put his hands up in surrender from where he was laying.

"Okay, okay." He sounded much better, even a little happy. "I just wanted a drink and some food."

"I'll get it for you." I went back into the kitchen. "Chocolate milk and chocolate cake?" I called.

"How'd you know?"

I brought it out for him and turned on the TV.

I looked at his face for the first time since last night and wanted to look away. They had really messed him up. Both his eyes were swollen almost shut and many shades of blue and yellow. His nose was swollen, too, and bruised as well. There were a few cuts from rings, but none deep enough to scar. His face was filled with lumps and bumps with bruises to match.

"They got me good," he sighed. "I think one of my ribs is broken."

I shook my head. "Shit, Darry. I'm sorry they got you."

"Not your fault." He took a bite of cake and laid his head back. "I'm lucky some of my coworkers found me when they did. I just hope my boss will let me use my vacation and sick days all in a row."

"Don't worry 'bout money right now."

He gave me a small smile. "If I don't, who's gonna?"

We sat and watched TV for about half an hour before I remembered Dally had called.

"Dally called while you were asleep last night. He wanted to talk to you."

"Really? Was he okay?"

"Yeah, he was fine," I said, shrugging. "Just drunk."

"Did you tell him 'bout Bob and those socs?"

"No."

"Ava-"

"I just didn't want him to worry." I looked at the TV and mumbled, "Seemed like he had enough on his plate."