Chapter 8

"Your Dad hates him? What'd he do?" Pony asked, turning his head from the TV.

I shrugged, not really being able to pinpoint one thing that Dallas had done to make Dad mad. "I guess Dad just kinda thinks that my brother's just... not a good person? Dad always says that he's a thief, or that he's a dumbass dropout... just stuff like that."

"You said a bad word," Jackson pointed out loudly. "That's bad."

"Yes, it is." I stretched and laid back down on the floor. "Anyone got the time?"

"It's around 2, I think," Johnny said.

I groaned. "Jackson, in thirty minutes we gotta go. Okay?"

"Okay."

For the next thirty minutes, Jackson had what was probably the time of his life. He got to do what he likes most- sitting around, watching TV, and eating cake, which was totally unhealthy, and if his parents found out I'd never be allowed to babysit him again.

"Time to go," I said, anticipating the fit Jackson was probably going to throw. He was old enough to know better, at least in my opinion, but he still would scream and cry if we had to leave somewhere he was having fun. Actually, I was really shocked he hadn't put up more of a fight at the playground, but I had probably scared him by just picking him up and practically running from the playground for him to even think to throw a fit.

His bottom lip stuck out and tears welled up in his eyes. "I don't wanna go!"

I sighed. "I know, but we have to. If we don't leave now, we'll get into trouble."

"I don't care! I wanna stay!" he wailed, starting to cry. "I don't wanna go home!"

"Jackson," I began, my voice growing firm, "if you ever want to come back we have to leave. Now. I'm not joking." The kid knew better than to keep throwing a fit when I got annoyed with him, so he stopped crying and got off the couch, making it obvious that he was still angry by crossing his arms and huffing.

"Fine." He marched towards the door. I rolled my eyes behind him and followed.

Once I got outside, Two-Bit called behind me, "Hey, you gonna come back later?" He didn't sound very hopeful.

I turned and shrugged. "Uh, I don't think that's the best-"

"I know what you told Pony and Johnny and I just don't get it." He took a drink from his beer bottle and continued, "You're just gonna ditch us, even after we helped you."

I felt my face turn red. "It ain't like that. I'm not just ditchin' you guys."

He laughed bitterly and leaned on the doorframe. "Then what is it, Ava?"

"My Dad don't like me bein' around guys," I admitted, trying not to raise my voice. I didn't like being interrogated like that. Jackson grabbed my hand and held it tightly.

"Your Dad was the guy at the Dingo. The guy that freaked you out when you saw him."

Deciding to play dumb, I answered, "I don't know what you're talkin' about." I looked down at Jackson, who looked extremely bored. "Listen, I gotta go."

Two-Bit jumped down the stairs and asked softly, "You know why Johnny's got all those bruises?"

"Socs, I guess."

"Yeah, well, some of 'em..." Two-Bit looked angry as he whispered, "His parents do the rest of 'em."

After Jackson's parents came home, I had some money and free time, so I decided to call Stacey and see what she was up to. She had her boyfriend over, so I knew to avoid her house for awhile.

I walked around town for awhile, and eventually ended up at the DX gas station because I 'needed' some junk food. Walking in, I saw a group of girls surrounding the cash register, most of them looking like they were flirting. I walked around and grabbed a bunch of shitty junk food, and by the time I'd grabbed everything I wanted most of the girls had cleared out.

Seeing Sodapop at the register was a bit of a shock. But instead of just dropping the food and running like my first thought was to, I walked up to the register and have him a weak smile.

"Hey, Ava! How've you been!"

"Uh, good I guess." I shrugged and placed my shit on the counter with one hand while digging in my pocket with the other.

Soda softly hummed as he totaled up my purchase. "Here ya go."

"Thanks." I threw down a couple of dollars and he frowned.

"You're a friend. It's on the house."

Either Soda hadn't heard that I'd basically ditched them all or he was just a really nice person, and I was willing to bet that it was just that he was a just really nice person.

He slid the money back over the counter. Shaking my head, I felt the need to explain why I couldn't be around, or at least tell him it wasn't their fault.

"You know that you guys didn't do anythin', right? I mean, you didn't chase me off or nothin'. I can't be around 'cause my dad don't like-"

"You don't gotta explain yourself to me. I get it."

"Thanks. Tell Steve and Darry I said hi. I saw the other three today already." I walked away from the counter.

When I opened the door, Soda called after me, "If you change your mind, swing by the Dingo tonight."

I frowned and replied, "I'd like to, but... I really can't."

"Okay. Well, see you around!"

As I walked down the street, I couldn't help but still think about sneaking off to the Dingo and seeing the gang. I'd really had a great time with them all even if I'd only know them for awhile.

I heard a car driving behind me, so I instinctively stepped away from the street and more onto the sidewalk. The car drove next to me, and when I glanced over, I saw Two-Bit's grinning face in the drivers seat.

"Haven't we met before?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Hmm... nah. I'm just one of those faces." I shrugged, joking back at him.

He shook his head. "No, I'd recognize that face anywhere. Your name's Samantha, ain't it?"

I rolled my eyes at him, laughing lightly. "What're you doin'?"

"Uh, drivin'."

I looked at his car, noticing the amount of dents and dings covering it. "What's holdin' that car together?"

"Hope, mostly," he said happily. "You need a ride?"

"I don't know where I'm goin'."

"How about the Dingo? The gangs goin' tonight and I think we all want you to come."

I finally gave in, replying, "Yeah, gimme a ride."