Chapter 21

A few minutes later, the door opened and the gang waltzed in.

"What took y'all so long?" I asked lazily, almost joking. But not quite.

"Jesus Christ," Dallas muttered, taking the chair and pulling it up next to me. "Ava..."

"Yeah, yeah." I slowly sat up, sitting at the edge of the bed and looking at all the boys. "So, where have you guys been?"

"We didn't know when visitin' hours were, so we waited until now to come," Pony explained, shrugging.

We were all silent for a few minutes, and I was sure no one had any idea what to say. Eventually, I awkwardly asked, "How are you guys?"

"Who cares? You're the one who's hurt," Two-Bit blurted, shaking his head.

Darry nodded. "You're lucky that someone answered your call. If Katie hadn't answered, who knows what woulda happened."

"Why would you go back?" Dallas growled, ignoring the current conversation. "What the fuck, Ava!"

I closed my eyes, trying to ignore the stinging in them. "I'm sorry."

"Ava, you can't be so goddamn stupid!" Dallas' voice made me flinch back. "Do you not have common fucking sense?!"

"Can we talk about this another time?" I asked weakly, glancing back at the gang. Dallas seemed to get the message.

I thought he was going to stop yelling, at least for now. He looked back at the gang and coldly said, "Get out."

"What?" Soda seemed confused, as did the rest of them.

Two-Bit looked at us and said, "Dal, we'll leave later, but we wanna see Ava now."

"Do you think I care?!" Dallas stood up and walked towards them. "Get the fuck out!"

Everyone looked at each other awkwardly but didn't move.

"You need to calm down, Dally." Two-Bit sounded calm as he took a step towards Dallas, but I think that everyone could see how nervous he was. I knew that not many people stood up to Dallas and escaped unhurt. "She don't need you yellin' at her right now, and-"

Dallas cut Two-Bit off with a cold laugh. "You think that just 'cause you got a crush on my sister you know what's good for her?"

"That's not what I'm-"

"'Cause last time I checked, you were the ones who let her go back to Dad."

I saw everyone cringe at his words like they thought it was true.

"That's not what happened," I explained quickly. "They tried-"

"Just shut the fuck up! You don't get a say in this!" Dallas didn't even turn to look at me as he yelled.

"Come on, this is their business," Steve muttered nervously, heading for the door.

I nodded, agreeing with him. They didn't need Dallas mad at them because of me. "Just go." I looked at the ground, avoiding eye contact with them. "Please."

"I'll leave when your brother calms down," Two-Bit said simply.

"Go." I tried to make myself loud, but it came out in a whisper. "Please just leave."

I heard the door close after a few seconds. I didn't look up at Dallas, but I was sure he was red in the face from anger. I could see his feet moving as he paced around the room.

"I don't even know what to say!" Dallas stopped pacing. "I thought you were supposed to be smart with the grades you get, but I guess the fuck not!"

"You sound like Darry," I laughed, not able to keep my mouth shut, partially from nerves and partially from seeing Dallas try to act as an authority figure.

"You think this is funny?! You're in the hospital and you think it's funny?!" I looked up at Dallas and he rolled his eyes, making sure I saw him. "I never want you goin' back there!"

"Wasn't planin' on it." I shook my head, wishing Dallas would just leave.

"Good!" Dallas glared at me. "Quit bein' a smartass! I'm serious right now! If you ever go back to Dad I'm gonna... ground you!"

I almost laughed at the thought of Dallas trying to ground me. He'd probably try to take away beer or something.

"You didn't have to be such an asshole to them," I muttered, vaguely motioning towards the door. "They didn't do anythin'."

"Bullshit. They're the ones who let you go back home." Dallas sounded completely sure of himself.

I shook my head. "I made them let me go home, Dallas. They tried to stop me and I didn't let them. Don't blame your friends, alright?"

"Whatever." Dallas sat back down in the chair and sighed. "I'm gonna kill him."

"Don't go back home." I tried to suppress the memories of Dad telling me he wanted to see Dallas again.

"How can I not?" Dallas leaned back in the chair and pulled out a cigarette. "Stupid fuckin' bastard deserves to be where you are now."

"He wants you to go back, Dallas."

"Good. Maybe he'll put up a better fight." Dallas snickered.

We sat in silence for a few minutes, both of us looking in opposite directions.

I sighed and looked at Dallas, who was pouting and puffing on his smoke.

"I don't want you to get hurt," I finally said, breaking our silence in a quiet voice.

Dallas didn't reply for a few minutes but I could tell he was thinking. Eventually, he looked at me and said gruffly, "That don't matter. I won't get hurt and even if I do, it don't matter 'cause Dad needs to learn a lesson." He threw the cigarette on the floor and stomped on it. "But if it'll make you happy, I'll go without the guys."

If that was the best I could get from him, I was going to take it.

"Okay." I nodded to myself, trying to convince myself Dallas would be alright; that he wouldn't get hurt and he would be okay. He always was okay. He believed nothing could touch him and his belief made it almost true.

"You want those jackasses to come back in?"

"Yeah, I do." I laid down, flat on my stomach, making sure not to touch my back.

Dallas opened the door and I was suddenly afraid he would leave to find Dad then. But, he came back and sat down next to me again. I could tell the guys had heard the screaming part of our argument by their faces, but I wouldn't put it past them to purposely listen in on us.

We talked until visiting hours were over and a nurse forced them all out.