Chapter 50

I saw a car pull up on the curb outside. The passenger's side door swung open and mom stepped out, looking bright-eyed even at this hour. 

I sighed and got up off the couch, grabbing my bag. 

"Get them to come outside in a minute or two," I mumbled, walking towards the door.  "Let me talk to mom." 

He nodded, standing up and grabbing his crutches. "I'll tell them to be on their best behavior, too." 

I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, so I just smiled and went outside. 

Mom and I hugged per usual, me looking at the car over her shoulder. I saw a figure sitting in the front seat, who I assumed to be James. 

"Where are your friends?" Mom asked, pulling away from me. She was looking at the door. 

I shrugged, feeling nerves build up. "They'll be out in a minute." 

I heard the door open. Looking back, I saw Two-Bit stumble out of the house followed by Soda, who was wearing his million-dollar smile. Steve came out next, arms crossed. Pony and Johnny brought up the rear, both looking at the ground. 

"Mom," I said, turning back to face her, "these are my friends." 

She was smiling, but I could see the concern in her eyes. Even though she had known that they were all guys, I was sure the fact that I had spent the night with them was just hitting her. 

I moved to the side so Two-Bit, who was teetering on the crutches, could shake her hand. 

"Nice to meet you," he said. "I'm Keith Mathews." 

Hearing him say his real name made me cringe because it sounded so wrong, but it also brought back memories to the first time I met him. He had introduced himself as 'Keith fuckin' Mathews' but had told me to call him Two-Bit. 

Soda was still smiling as he shook mom's hand. "I'm Sodapop Curtis, Darry's brother." He grabbed Pony and jerked him over. "And this is our kid brother, Ponyboy." 

Pony smiled, giving mom a small wave. 

Steve pushed past Soda and Pony. "I'm Steve Randall, and did ya'll rent that car? Or is it yours?" 

Mom looked back at the car. "We rented..." 

"Oh my god, I've always wanted to work on-" he was cut off by Soda, who cuffed him on the back of the head. Steve rolled his eyes. Shaking mom's hand, he grumbled, "It's nice to meet you." 

"It's nice to meet you, too," mom said, still smiling. "You can go talk to James about the car, he might know something." 

Steve looked like he might jump for joy as he nodded, walking away to the car. 

Johnny was last. He pulled his hands out of his pockets and his eyes off the ground. "Hi, I'm Johnathan Cade. Good to meet you." 

I could see mom eyeing the scars on his face as she shook his hand. 

"Nice to meet all of you," mom said, letting go of Johnny's hand, which he promptly shoved back into his pocket. 

She got a chorus of 'Nice to meet you, too.' She started to ask them all some questions, mostly just making small talk. I didn't really listen. Instead, I ran through what all I might have to do in New York- get a dress and a haircut, avoid any people I used to know, keep Dal in check... the list went on and on. 

After what felt like an hour, mom told me it was time to go. She said her polite goodbyes, leaving me to give my more personal ones. Even if I was only leaving for a few days, I knew it was going to be rough without them. 

"I'll see you guys soon," I said, giving them a smile. 

"Bring back some weddin' cake," Steve suggested. He had come back from the car a few minutes prior. 

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "I'll try." 

Steve surprised me by going in for a hug. The rest of the boys, after Steve pulled away, followed suit, hugging me one by one. 

After Two-Bit let go, I laughed. "It's only five days, guys." 

"That's five too many," Soda sang. He leaned against Steve, adding, "We think you need those hugs for good luck, too." 

"Damn right." I shook my head. After a moment's silence, I said quietly, "I better get goin'."

I grabbed my bag of possessions and walked to the car before I changed my mind and stayed. 

Dallas was in the car for a few minutes before mom commented on the gang. 

"They all seemed like very nice, honest boys," she said. 

Dallas and I grinned at each other. Apparently he had wanted mom to like them as much as I had. 

"I liked Steve," James commented from the front seat. "He seemed to know cars very well. He might have a bright future ahead, in the automotive industry." 

I felt the corners of my mouth turn down. He talked too much like a fucking soc. 

Mom nodded. "Johnny seemed a little shy." She used his nickname, which she had learned almost as soon as she talked to him. "Although he needs to figure out a way to cover up those scars. He'll never get a girl with those things on his face." 

Dallas stiffened next to me. I bit my tongue and balled up my fists, wanting to hit something after mom said something as awful as that. I knew Dallas felt the same. 

I got some satisfaction knowing that he had a girl, and from what I could tell, she wasn't like most socs. 

"Some fucking rich kids did that," Dallas growled. "Their rings cut his face and left those scars." 

Mom didn't seem to absorb anything Dally had said but 'fuck'. Her face soured as she hollered, "Language!" 

This was going to be a long trip, I realized as we pulled up to the car rental place. 

One long, long trip.