Chapter 56

By the end of the movie, I was stuck to Two-Bit's side like white on rice. Burying my face into his shirt was easier than watching some scenes of the movie. I'd never been good at watching scary movies- the jump scares and violence got to me easily. The only thing that I liked about the movie was an excuse to cuddle with Two-Bit like this. 

He was right- the ending was insane.  

"You good?" he asked with a grin. 

"Remind me never to watch that again." 

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder a little tighter. "Oh, The Birds is on next. That's by the same guy." 

I grabbed the remote and switched the channel, not caring what was on the other station. 

"No more," I declared, putting the remote back on the table. 

He laughed but didn't object. A few times, I could've sworn I'd caught him looking away from the screen during the scary parts. 

After a few moments, he and I started talking about anything we could think of. 

We got onto the subject of New York, something I didn't want to really think of, but knew I needed to talk about. 

"It was fine, I guess," I muttered in response to his questioning of how it was. "The house was amazin'- bigger than any house I ever seen." 

"Sounds...-" he searched for words, struggling to vocalize his thoughts- "relaxin'." 

"I guess. Didn't have to worry 'bout much." I closed my eyes, fighting a yawn. "Missed y'all though." 

"Was your mom and that James guy nice?" 

"Yeah, they were. Mom's tryin' to do right by Dally and me now, which I can respect." 

We stopped talking. I kept my eyes closed, listening to the TV, half-asleep.

I woke up to movement. 

Opening my eyes, I saw it was at least midday, judging from the amount of light coming in from the window. I was still on the couch, leaning against Two-Bit. He was moving slowly, trying to get his arm out from between the couch and my shoulders without waking me up. 

I leaned forward, letting him move his arm. 

Rubbing my eyes, I said, "Good afternoon." I stood up and walked to the kitchen, getting out the milk carton and a glass. I heard footsteps follow and stop behind me. Two-Bit wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his head on my shoulder. 

"Is that for me?" he asked as I poured myself some milk. 

"Nope," I hummed, smiling. 

We ate breakfast quickly, without being disrupted by any of the other gang. Two-Bit told me that after I fell asleep, they came back but went to Buck's so they wouldn't bother us. He fell asleep quickly after. 

Two-Bit left to go check on Katie at the house. I stayed and watched TV, waiting for someone to show up. 

Pony came out of his room after a while to get a bag of peas to put on his face. He'd gotten hit a few times, but he and Johnny had messed some socs up pretty good, he told me. He limped back into his room to rest. 

I saw Johnny walk across the road. He came in some bruises and scratches on his face, too. Overall, though, he didn't look too bad. 

I saw this as my opportunity to ask about that girl- Randy's little sister. 

"So, Johnny," I casually remarked, leaning into the couch, "what've you been up to lately?" 

His eyes didn't leave the TV as he shrugged. "Same old stuff." 

"Hmm... got any girls you've got your eye on?" 

"Nope." He answered a bit too quickly. 

I grinned. "You know I know, right?" 

He sighed and lowered his head. "Yeah, I figured you did. She told me about a greaser girl savin' her from gettin' kicked out after tellin' her my name. Kinda knew it was you, I guess." 

"How'd you meet her, anyway?" 

A small smile showed on Johnny's face. "I was at the lot when this girl walked by. She saw me and turned like she might leave, but changed her mind and came and sat next to me. She said, 'I'm Randy Anderson's little sister and I apologize on his behalf for what he did to your face.' And we got to talkin'." 

"And?" 

"And, I asked her out. She said yes." 

The smile on his face said it all. I hoped they would last together. 

"When are you gonna tell the gang?" I asked, knowing that they would have to find out eventually. 

Johnny's smile faded. "Pony and Darry know. I don't wanna tell the rest of 'em. I think- I think they might get mad." 

I paused, not wanting to lie and tell him they wouldn't. I figured Soda and Two-Bit wouldn't, Steve might not, but Dally would. Dally certainly would. 

"They're gonna know eventually." 

"I know," Johnny sighed. "I promised myself I'd tell them if we got to a month." 

"And it's been...?" 

"Just over. We're goin' to see a movie tomorrow, around noon." 

I shook my head, just saying, "Be careful- you don't want Randy findin' out." 

By six, the gang was all at the Curtis', most of them with more than a few injuries. The greasers had won but at a cost. Curly Shepard, Tim's kid brother, had been hospitalized along with another kid from the Shepard gang. A few socs had gotten them and pummeled them until Darry and Steve got them away. 

With the socs with their tails between their legs- at least for awhile- all the greasers were feeling good. We all knew we could go eat, drink, and be on the streets without the threat of socs looming over our heads. 

But, we still all stayed at the Curtis' that night, tending to bruises and bumps, playing cards, and watching TV. Darry even made us some scrambled eggs and cake for dinner.